2nd year medicine OSCE - advice please! Watch

erinls2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey!
I did my first ever OSCE (clinical exam) today. It was 4 stations of 4.5 minutes. One station was abdominal examination, one was taking a history, one was blood pressure taking and one was interpreting peak flow results and communicating that to a patient. So the first 3 I felt went pretty well, but the peak flow one didn't go so well as I said all I had to say in the first 2 mins or so and there was then quite a lot of awkward silence. Given the others went ok, do you think I can still pass the OSCE with one not so good station?

Thanks
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by erinls2)
...do you think I can still pass the OSCE with one not so good station?...
Generally speaking you should be fine overall, but without knowing the marking scheme, and whether you actually did OK in the other stations we can't tell!

For MRCP PACES, for example, failing one station (not Station 5!) does not necessarily mean failing the whole thing but you wouldn't know if you did well in the other stations too!

:goodluck:
singzeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you 'said all I had to say', why should you be worried about 'a lot of awkward silence'? The only thing I can think of is if you were speaking way too fast. Otherwise, you shouldn't be penalised for 'finishing too soon'. The timing allocated is the maximum allowed, doesn't mean you can't finish earlier.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that usually they allocate the timing based on a reasonable estimate of how long someone should take. Finishing too soon may instead mean you might have missed something out. This happened to me for my abdominal exam; fortunately it was a small portion and I wasn't marked down too harshly for it. I didn't realise all the way until results release and I saw my feedback! Now I know why I finished with some time to spare.

Since this was a month ago, hopefully you'd have got your results by now. All the best!
(Original post by erinls2)
Hey!
I did my first ever OSCE (clinical exam) today. It was 4 stations of 4.5 minutes. One station was abdominal examination, one was taking a history, one was blood pressure taking and one was interpreting peak flow results and communicating that to a patient. So the first 3 I felt went pretty well, but the peak flow one didn't go so well as I said all I had to say in the first 2 mins or so and there was then quite a lot of awkward silence. Given the others went ok, do you think I can still pass the OSCE with one not so good station?

Thanks
erinls2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I got my results on Wednesday and passed nicely
(Original post by singzeon)
If you 'said all I had to say', why should you be worried about 'a lot of awkward silence'? The only thing I can think of is if you were speaking way too fast. Otherwise, you shouldn't be penalised for 'finishing too soon'. The timing allocated is the maximum allowed, doesn't mean you can't finish earlier.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that usually they allocate the timing based on a reasonable estimate of how long someone should take. Finishing too soon may instead mean you might have missed something out. This happened to me for my abdominal exam; fortunately it was a small portion and I wasn't marked down too harshly for it. I didn't realise all the way until results release and I saw my feedback! Now I know why I finished with some time to spare.

Since this was a month ago, hopefully you'd have got your results by now. All the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.47%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (70)
32.86%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.19%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.45%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.02%

Watched Threads