The Student Room Group

AQA History A-level Crusades

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Luciestaniek123
I did 02 - urban II calling the crusade and 03- to what extent was Outremer is a weakened position due to Nureddin... what did you do?

02 urban calling the crusade as well and 04- the significance of western intervention in the near east. feel like i should have done 03 instead tho, felt like my point weren’t very strong. did you think yours went well?
Original post by helpccc
oh that’s cool! my class in college had already gone over something similar to q2 so it was great!!!

Hopefully my results come out as an A* or A
I think it went okay, I definitely needed more time though! I finished but felt like I could have argued my points more coherently if I had more time to do it. But I thought the questions were good, last year they are horrible! My main factors for the urban one was: papal ambition (from the question), situation in the east and religious fervour. And for the nureddin one my main factors were : Nureddin, lack of western aid (and lack of aid from Byzantium for the second crusade but I discredited this as I went on as he helped Baldwin III and Amalric) and then poor leadership from Baldwin and Amalric (But more so Amalric with his failed expeditions to Egypt).
How did you think it went? What factors did you put for your essay questions? My friend did the second essay question but I just didn’t think I knew enough for it😂
Original post by helpccc
02 urban calling the crusade as well and 04- the significance of western intervention in the near east. feel like i should have done 03 instead tho, felt like my point weren’t very strong. did you think yours went well?
Reply 23
I think it went okay, I definitely needed more time though! I finished but felt like I could have argued my points more coherently if I had more time to do it. But I thought the questions were good, last year they are horrible! My main factors for the urban one was: papal ambition (from the question), situation in the east and religious fervour. And for the nureddin one my main factors were : Nureddin, lack of western aid (and lack of aid from Byzantium for the second crusade but I discredited this as I went on as he helped Baldwin III and Amalric) and then poor leadership from Baldwin and Amalric (But more so Amalric with his failed expeditions to Egypt).
How did you think it went? What factors did you put for your essay questions? My friend did the second essay question but I just didn’t think I knew enough for it😂

did the same with 02! talked about how Gregory vii developed st.augustine’s theory into holy war and how urban used that to establish supremacy.
ur 03 sounds really good i just could not think about how nuraldin weakened outremer bc he hardly did?? there’s like artah and inab but that is it.
for 04 i said the point in the q was valid (western help achieved little of significance) with the count of flanders in 1177 failing to get shaizar, the failure of the 4th and german crusade to even get to the near east and the german crusade losing jaffa. and i mentioned how no crusade in the time period was significant bc none fulfilled their ultimate goal. then i disagreed and said the third crusade achieved a lot and without it outremer wouldn’t have existed as well as help from william of sicily and conrad of montferrat
terrified that grade boundaries will be so high 😭
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, I talked about the investiture contest for Gregory VII too. I structured it over the secular lords and over the church. So I talked about lay investiture, simony and clerical marriage and I referred to the great schism in 1054.

For Nureddin I mentioned the failure of the Christians in taking Damascus in 1148 for the second crusade due to Nureddin making them move their siege towers and making it more difficult for them. I also mentioned about Inab in 1149 and how he united Aleppo, Mosul and Damascus so penning the Christians in at the sea. That’s all I can remember that I put😂

Your answer for the last one sounds really good! You structured it really well too.
Yeah I’m hoping they won’t be so high! But everyone I know that did it thought it went okay so that makes me nervous😢
Reply 25
Yeah, I talked about the investiture contest for Gregory VII too. I structured it over the secular lords and over the church. So I talked about lay investiture, simony and clerical marriage and I referred to the great schism in 1054.

For Nureddin I mentioned the failure of the Christians in taking Damascus in 1148 for the second crusade due to Nureddin making them move their siege towers and making it more difficult for them. I also mentioned about Inab in 1149 and how he united Aleppo, Mosul and Damascus so penning the Christians in at the sea. That’s all I can remember that I put😂

Your answer for the last one sounds really good! You structured it really well too.
Yeah I’m hoping they won’t be so high! But everyone I know that did it thought it went okay so that makes me nervous😢

hopefully paper 2 will be nice as well 🥰 what do you do for paper 2? i do the angevin empire so it fits really nicely with the crusades since Richard, Philip, Henry VI and Innocent are on both my papers
Original post by helpccc
hopefully paper 2 will be nice as well 🥰 what do you do for paper 2? i do the angevin empire so it fits really nicely with the crusades since Richard, Philip, Henry VI and Innocent are on both my papers

Yes hopefully! That’s so lucky! I wish we did that as well. I do the English Revolution. What other subjects do you do?
Reply 27
Yes hopefully! That’s so lucky! I wish we did that as well. I do the English Revolution. What other subjects do you do?

psychology and medical science you?
English literature and Biology. Good luck in your other exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending