There could be a second EU referendum... Watch

StrawberryDreams
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48357017

Theresa May has just announced that MP's may get the chance to vote on whether the UK has a second EU referendum - but only if they vote for her EU withdrawal agreement bill.

She has told MPs they have "one last chance" to deliver Brexit, as she set out a "new Brexit deal". The bill also contains new guarantees on workers' rights, environmental protections and the Irish backstop as well a customs "compromise". If MPs reject the bill, she warned them a negotiated exit would be "dead in the water" and Brexit could be stopped.

What do you think? Do you think the bill will get through? Is it enough of a compromise?
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Labour are still pretty firm on their rejection of her deal and the ERG really dislike the new guarantees. It's looking like this will again just be rejected.

That said, growing support for the Brexit Party and the collapse in support for both the Conservatives and Labour may sway some MPs to vote for the deal simply to get Brexit out of the way. The public (myself included) just want MPs to get on with Brexit and they risk losing their jobs if they don't. Then again, the next general election is in a couple of years and a lot can change by then; they may take that risk.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

Theresa May has just announced that MP's may get the chance to vote on whether the UK has a second EU referendum - but only if they vote for her EU withdrawal agreement bill.

She has told MPs they have "one last chance" to deliver Brexit, as she set out a "new Brexit deal". The bill also contains new guarantees on workers' rights, environmental protections and the Irish backstop as well a customs "compromise". If MPs reject the bill, she warned them a negotiated exit would be "dead in the water" and Brexit could be stopped.

What do you think? Do you think the bill will get through? Is it enough of a compromise?
I think this bill will be given a larger kicking than Mr's May's first MV.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"We're going to have a 4th vote on my deal over half a year, and if you change your mind this time we might maybe probably not have an undemocratic 2nd public vote after 3 years."

Wut.
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 1 month ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So they are voting to vote to let people vote

Seems logical ;_;
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She will have an even bigger defeat than her last vote there is zero chance of a second referendum now.

She will be replaced by a brexiteer.
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
May stated earlier this year that she would resign once the first stage had been acted upon, i.e. the Withdrawal Agreement being put through and properly voted in.

With this 2nd referendum promise, will this uphold when a new PM is chosen in her place?

Sorry, but that sounds real dodgy to me.
SeventiesZombie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...according to the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank Of England, house prices Will crash, possibly by as much as 35% + if we have a hard brexit...

The single biggest investment you make in your life is buying a house.

For the latter half of the twentieth century, the average house price could be bought for no more than 3.5x individual salary.
That was the long term median.
It's now 10x salary. Its insane. Its disgraceful. Its criminal

Every political party has sworn that they will make housing affordable again and again. They roll out the same lies year after year after year...

The head of the civil service, has been advising May, telling her to 'keep the status quo going' however much misery it has caused.

The people just a few years older than you were able to buy a house, then watch, as their house doubled in price just two years, 1997-2007, and tripled from 97 to 2007...whilst wages remained stagnant.

Using their new found equity, [to borrow from the banks, who pushed the credit boom in housing] they were able to buy, what would have a been a First Time Buyers house, [YOUR F****G HOUSE] and then rent it out to those coming after them...YOU....

Is that FAIR? You paying for their retirement, never able to afford equity of your own?

I CANT STAND RACISTS. BUT IM VOTING WITH MY WALLET. IM VOTING LEAVE.

**I expect this will receive lots of criticism, the only noteworthy financial criticism will be from those who say that industry may suffer, and as therefore as a result you may not be able to afford a house, because you lose your job...in that case, if were all f***ed, then at last there'll be some economic equality finally!

IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD A HOUSE, IF YOU WANT TO SEE THEM COME BACK DOWN, VOTING LEAVE IS YOUR BEST BET.

Millions of people are voting leave for economic reasons, and are labelled racists, when all they ever wanted was a fair shot...the same shot that those older generations got...

Rant Over. Im voting Leave, hoping house prices come back down to an affordable level, then voting Green, from now on, unless we have a rapid sea change in politics....introducing FPTP etc...
SeventiesZombie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...according to the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank Of England, house prices Will crash, possibly by as much as 35% + if we have a hard brexit...

For the latter half of the twentieth century, the average house price could be bought for no more than 3.5x individual salary.

Every political party has sworn that they will make housing affordable again and again. They roll out the same lies year after year after year...

The head of the civil service, has been advising May, telling her to 'keep the status quo going' however much misery it has caused.

The people just a few years older than you were able to buy a house, then watch, as their house doubled in price just two years, 1997-2007, and tripled from 97 to 2007...whilst wages remained stagnant.

Using their new found equity, [to borrow from the banks, who pushed the credit boom in housing] they were able to buy, what would have a been a First Time Buyers house, [YOUR *****G HOUSE] and then rent it out to those coming after them...YOU....

Is that FAIR? You paying for their retirement, never able to afford equity of your own?

**I expect this will receive lots of criticism, the only noteworthy financial criticism will be from those who say that industry may suffer, and as therefore as a result you may not be able to afford a house, because you lose your job...in that case, if were all f***ed, then at last there'll be some economic equality finally!

IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD A HOUSE, IF YOU WANT TO SEE THEM COME BACK DOWN, VOTING LEAVE IS YOUR BEST BET.

Millions of people are voting leave for economic reasons, and are labelled racists, when all they ever wanted was a fair shot...the same shot that those older generations got...

Rant Over. Im voting Leave, hoping house prices come back down to an affordable level, then voting Green, from now on, unless we have a rapid sea change in politics....introducing FPTP etc.......
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SeventiesZombie)

Using their new found equity, [to borrow from the banks, who pushed the credit boom in housing] they were able to buy, what would have a been a First Time Buyers house, [YOUR F****G HOUSE] and then rent it out to those coming after them...YOU....

Rant Over. Im voting Leave, hoping house prices come back down to an affordable level, then voting Green, from now on, unless we have a rapid sea change in politics....introducing FPTP etc...
Any particular reason why a no deal brexit crashes the price of a commodity that is essential to citizens that live in the UK and that we have a shortage of?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads