"Allow 7 hours for your interview" + Are GCSE certificates needed if I have a degree? Watch

Takoto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey all, I have two questions I can't find the answer to on Google,

I've recently applied for an apprenticeship and secured an interview, however they sent me a letter saying to allow seven hours for the interview - the interview itself is at a local college, and doesn't say why the interview will be so long (for references, it's a software development apprenticeship).

Also, they've asked if I could bring my GCSE certificates, but I have A-Levels and a Bachelor's degree (albeit in unrelated subjects). I'm not sure where my GCSE certificates are as it's been almost a decade since I last needed them for anything... Have been trying to look for them but no luck yet. Would it be alright to just bring my A levels and degree certificates?

Thanks.
username2923348
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Takoto)
Hey all, I have two questions I can't find the answer to on Google,

I've recently applied for an apprenticeship and secured an interview, however they sent me a letter saying to allow seven hours for the interview - the interview itself is at a local college, and doesn't say why the interview will be so long (for references, it's a software development apprenticeship).

Also, they've asked if I could bring my GCSE certificates, but I have A-Levels and a Bachelor's degree (albeit in unrelated subjects). I'm not sure where my GCSE certificates are as it's been almost a decade since I last needed them for anything... Have been trying to look for them but no luck yet. Would it be alright to just bring my A levels and degree certificates?

Thanks.
They may be interviewing multiple people, or require you to complete some tests.

If you don't have your GCSE certificates, just call or email them and explain that you did them a very long time ago, so you don't have them to hand.

Also why are you doing an apprenticeship if you have a degree? Most apprenticeships will decline you because they don't get subsidised by the government for it if the apprentice has a degree.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Takoto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheRealSquiddy)
Also why are you doing an apprenticeship if you have a degree? Most apprenticeships will decline you because they don't get subsidised by the government for it if the apprentice has a degree.
Thanks for the advice!

The apprenticeship I'm applying for is very different to the degree I did, there's multiple reasons why I can't get a job in the field of my degree (mostly disability...).

I've had no luck looking for jobs locally, so on a whim a while ago I started broadening my options to also apprenticeships (in subjects I have prior knowledge in and enjoy), and just happened to get an interview with this one (though truth be told, this is the only apprenticeship I applied to...). So I'm not only pursuing apprenticeships.
sterling12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Takoto)
Thanks for the advice!

The apprenticeship I'm applying for is very different to the degree I did, there's multiple reasons why I can't get a job in the field of my degree (mostly disability...).

I've had no luck looking for jobs locally, so on a whim a while ago I started broadening my options to also apprenticeships (in subjects I have prior knowledge in and enjoy), and just happened to get an interview with this one (though truth be told, this is the only apprenticeship I applied to...). So I'm not only pursuing apprenticeships.
The 7 hour interview could also be because of your disability (if you have one). My understanding is that if you declare you have a disability in apprenticeship schemes you're automatically allowed an interview. Meaning if you apply to 100 apprenticeships you'll get 100 interviews. They may have given you extra time in some of the activities that will happen during the day. Hence, the 7 hours.

Software development is a rewarding field with a lot more opportunities out there so with the right mindset and interest, you will definitely find a job and get to do amazing things!

Goodluck !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads