I had a panic attack during my exam today pls help me Watch

Yiannis01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I had my A level history exam today and half way through I had a panic attack and stressed out and felt very light headed for the rest of the
exam resulting in me messing up the last 2 essays.

Is there any way I can retake the exam?

Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ayyyy.x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Yiannis01)
I had my A level history exam today and half way through I had a panic attack and stressed out and felt very light headed for the rest of the

Thanks
Yes you can but let your teachers know
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
Would I be able to re do the exam? As it’s not up to my teachers but the exam board
Rizen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you cant retake since you have already seen the questions lul
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can't retake
Is there any evidence of the panic attack or anything?
Otherwise I don't think they can do much or many people would claim of a panic attack
If the examiners were aware during the exam then they could notify the exam board
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You might be able to retake it providing that you've told your teacher.
If you end up going to university after too, I would make it known if you've been diagnosed with anxiety or something of the like.(if you have been, that is)
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
Unless you told anyone at school about your panic attack, there isn't much you can do. They won't allow you to retake with just your word for it.

Most schools/colleges have a fit to sit policy, so if you turn up to the exam, you are declaring yourself well enough to complete it. It prevents people from using undeclared illnesses as an excuse for bad performance on the day.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
hi i don't know how it works for A levels but i had a panic attack during an exam at uni. i submitted a PEC and it was rejected because i hadn't gone to see the doctor after the exam to get a note (even though i have long term anxiety and they knew that).

if you think you'll need evidence i suggest trying to get a doctor's note asap. sorry this happened to you. i know how it feels.
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
I don’t have any doctor notes as this was my first time but I almost fainted during the exam and it really messed up the whole thing
Last edited by Yiannis01; 4 weeks ago
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Unless you told anyone at school about your panic attack, there isn't much you can do. They won't allow you to retake with just your word for it.

Most schools/colleges have a fit to sit policy, so if you turn up to the exam, you are declaring yourself well enough to complete it. It prevents people from using undeclared illnesses as an excuse for bad performance on the day.
This was the first time this has happened to me. And I went straight to my head of 6th form after the exam and basically told her that I panicked and failed the exam

Also I know I saw the questions but they could give me another paper
Last edited by Yiannis01; 4 weeks ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This was the first time this has happened to me. And I went straight to my head of 6th form after the exam and basically told her that I panicked and failed the exam and cried a bit.

Also I know I saw the questions but they could give me another paper
I don't know what the current policies are like, so you'll need to discuss this with the exam board. As another poster said, they may require medical evidence. To play devil's advocate, if they allowed people to claim for issues during the exam without proof, people could predict that they failed the paper and lie on purpose to get a resit.

Unless you already have diagnosed anxiety, they may not accept it unfortunately. Exams are stressful anyway, so many people panic and become anxious, but that's just the nature of assessments.
StanCrane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You need a doctors note to prove you have anxiety. A mate of mine had the same, but in a french oral exam. She has been told she may be able to retake if she gets a medical note, but unfortunately you have to pay for one and they can take up to 28 days to arrive - by that time exam season has finished.
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I don't know what the current policies are like, so you'll need to discuss this with the exam board. As another poster said, they may require medical evidence. To play devil's advocate, if they allowed people to claim for issues during the exam without proof, people could predict that they failed the paper and lie on purpose to get a resit.

Unless you already have diagnosed anxiety, they may not accept it unfortunately. Exams are stressful anyway, so many people may panic but not claim due to the nature of assessments.
Yea I guess I have no solid proof and it’s just my word And don’t have any medical records of it. Maybe the fact that I cried after the exam when I went to see my head of year help,
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
(Original post by StanCrane)
You need a doctors note to prove you have anxiety. A mate of mine had the same, but in a french oral exam. She has been told she may be able to retake if she gets a medical note, but unfortunately you have to pay for one and they can take up to 28 days to arrive - by that time exam season has finished.
Should I ask my schools exam office if there is any chances?
Cxesar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Alot of people are goving you false hope... dependswhat exam board it is though.. email them or you could let your uni know what happened in the worst case scenario. Was it Edexcel Britain Transformed? Also I don't thin you crying will have much impact.
Yea I guess I have no solid proof and it’s just my word And don’t have any medical records of it. Maybe the fact that I cried after the exam when I went to see my head of year help,
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
You can't retake this year- there's no provision for that.

You may be able to apply for special consideration- see here:
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...cess-2018-2019

which would give you up to 4% extra marks.

You'd need to submit medical evidence for this.

You/your parents should speak to your college exams officer ASAP for advice.

Alternatively, you could retake next year.

Don't forget this exam is only one part of your grade. You can still bring it back up, and you may not have done as badly as you think.

ETA: If you feel this way again during an exam, at the very least alert the examiners. This will give you some kind of evidence that all was not well on the day.
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 4 weeks ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I doubt it tbh, if you've already said that it's not your teachers' decision, then you really don't have a way round it now. You don't know that you definitely failed it, so focus on the exams you have left to complete.
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cxesar)
Alot of people are goving you false hope... dependswhat exam board it is though.. email them or you could let your uni know what happened in the worst case scenario. Was it Edexcel Britain Transformed? Also I don't thin you crying will have much impact.
Yea it was that paper, I guess I can ask and find out worst case scenario nothing changes and I only failed this paper can only try and do well in the others
Sharemine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
honeslty just try harder in next 2 papers, same happened to me in my first psy paper1 but i just accepted it and try to do well to get like a* in next two, so my overall result is good. Night before exam, i am going to try to meditate and be calm.
Yiannis01
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
You can't retake this year- there's no provision for that.

You may be able to apply for special consideration- see here:
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...cess-2018-2019

which would give you up to 4% extra marks.

You'd need to submit medical evidence for this.

You/your parents should speak to your college exams officer ASAP for advice.

Alternatively, you could retake next year.

Don't forget this exam is only one part of your grade. You can still bring it back up, and you may not have done as badly as you think.
Thank you, but that’s the thing I don’t have any medical evidence this is the first time this has happened to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?