Daughter wants to leave sixth form now and start college course in September Watch

Saund14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I need a bit of advice please , my daughter is currently coming to the end of year 12 , studying law , psychology and criminology. Over the past couple of months her anxiety (which she suffered with in year 9/10 started again ) . She wants to leave and do a college course in hair and media make up she is very arty and I think she will thrive doing this . She’s really struggling getting to law lessons and school have said she has to go to the 3 subjects . I took her to the drs and he is going to write a letter to the school about her anxiety etc .
My concern is if they let her leave now and her course doesn’t start till sept will she get in trouble or be ok as it’s only a matter of weeks till the end of term ?
orangeorangutan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this is very dependent on the school so you would have to have a conversation with them to speak about it as it varies greatly. i think you have made the right decision for your daughter and it is clear you care about her.

i wish your daughter the best of luck in the future and am sure you will continue being a great parent for her
Skycloud
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Keep in contact with the new college and the school. It’s so difficult dealing with anxiety and education. Choosing a course such as hair and beauty is excellent is she is going to enjoy it and feel comfortable. As long as it’s okay with the new college, I don’t see why she can’t. All the best :-)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Saund14)
Hi I need a bit of advice please , my daughter is currently coming to the end of year 12 , studying law , psychology and criminology. Over the past couple of months her anxiety (which she suffered with in year 9/10 started again ) . She wants to leave and do a college course in hair and media make up she is very arty and I think she will thrive doing this . She’s really struggling getting to law lessons and school have said she has to go to the 3 subjects . I took her to the drs and he is going to write a letter to the school about her anxiety etc .
My concern is if they let her leave now and her course doesn’t start till sept will she get in trouble or be ok as it’s only a matter of weeks till the end of term ?
chelseadagg3r - could this be moved into a more appropriate forum, like parents or something? Thanks

The easiest thing would be for the school to agree to her leaving early - the doctor's letter should help you make a case. If there's no realistic chance of her returning to complete her A levels, the school should be happy to allow her to go on 'study leave' or some other device which allows her to leave early.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I imagine she could officially be "studying at home" under the classification of sick leave since she has a medical diagnosis of anxiety. Pupils occasionally do this at the school where I work and teachers send them work home which they complete and return if they feel able to.
a.shahh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
most schools will be happy to put forward an agreement which allows students to be in school part time or take a bit of time off due to mental health or several other issues. having a doctors note will help to and due to it being so close to the end of year now it should be fine. the most important thing is to make sure shes included in all the arrangements and that she knows whats happening as it will put her mind at ease!!
i wish her all the best!
Saund14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi thanks for reply , the school don’t do distance learning as they call it , we’ve had 1 meeting with them to tell them of her intentions to leave , they have offered careers advice etc . She’s struggling to get to law class and stressing about sitting end of year exams which she doesn’t really have to do as there is no AS levels anymore . Hopefully will get meeting with school before the end of the week .
(Original post by harrysbar)
I imagine she could officially be "studying at home" under the classification of sick leave since she has a medical diagnosis of anxiety. Pupils occasionally do this at the school where I work and teachers send them work home which they complete and return if they feel able to.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi thanks for reply , the school don’t do distance learning as they call it , we’ve had 1 meeting with them to tell them of her intentions to leave , they have offered careers advice etc . She’s struggling to get to law class and stressing about sitting end of year exams which she doesn’t really have to do as there is no AS levels anymore . Hopefully will get meeting with school before the end of the week .
They don't sound that helpful then - they could send her work if they wanted to and careers advice sounds like a bit of a fob off in this situation. They want to be seen to be offering support when they could be doing more but maybe it doesn't matter if your daughter is keen to leave anyway. I would just say she is too anxious at the moment to come into school and leave it a bit open as to whether she will return for her end of year exams or not. At the same time, I would reassure her that she doesn't need to sit the exams since she has an alternative plan worked out for September.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (229)
72.24%
Jeremy Hunt (88)
27.76%

Watched Threads