how do you get into columbia Watch

day_dreamer1909
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study law at ucl, lse or kings college London and they offer a place at Columbia law school in the third year. I REALLY want to get in but they only take 3 from the year so my chances are really low. How do I get in or at least have a good chance. I have done internship and work placements and also volunteering in law. Is it based on academic merit or what...? please help
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by day_dreamer1909)
I want to study law at ucl, lse or kings college London and they offer a place at Columbia law school in the third year. I REALLY want to get in but they only take 3 from the year so my chances are really low. How do I get in or at least have a good chance. I have done internship and work placements and also volunteering in law. Is it based on academic merit or what...? please help
1) academic grades
2) extra curricular or input into the faculty
3) having the money to cover the fees (this excludes a lot of people in each cohort).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by J-SP; 1 month ago
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did complete and FOI request with KCL on the LLB + JD.

In 2016/17, 18 people applied for 2 places.

Now they include Georgetown. In 2018/19, 19 applied for 5 places.

It is not as crazily competitive as people think. KCL indicates that successful candidates typically have a first or a high 2:1. If you're going to study at Columbia, this is something which should be rather easily achieved.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I did complete and FOI request with KCL on the LLB + JD.

In 2016/17, 18 people applied for 2 places.

Now they include Georgetown. In 2018/19, 19 applied for 5 places.

It is not as crazily competitive as people think. KCL indicates that successful candidates typically have a first or a high 2:1. If you're going to study at Columbia, this is something which should be rather easily achieved.
I’m not surprised to see those low numbers. The fees put the vast majority off, a lot of people know they won’t have the grades too.

The people who I have seen complete the course often have often had some kind of role in faculty too - whether that’s been some kind of assistant over the summer, or very active in student/teacher relations etc.
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I had $50k just laying around i'd consider it, but as J-SP rightly put it, the fee's are often the biggest hurdle.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DCDCo)
If I had $50k just laying around i'd consider it, but as J-SP rightly put it, the fee's are often the biggest hurdle.
Back in 2011/12, I know someone who had to raise closer to £120k to pay for their dual qualifying LLB/JD course.
day_dreamer1909
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
can you apply for scholardships or funding to help
thanks
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
can you apply for scholardships or funding to help
thanks
Yes - there will be various schemes both in the UK and US. But there’s a significant chance you would need to at least part fund the course.
day_dreamer1909
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
ok thanks so much ive always wanted to go there its like a dream
(Original post by J-SP)
Yes - there will be various schemes both in the UK and US. But there’s a significant chance you would need to at least part fund the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads