Accommodation - Kingswood Watch

Karl Bhop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I have a few questions about Kingswood.

1. What's the difference between Kingswood 1 and 2?
2. Are you able to choose between Kingswood 1 and 2? if so, does the price change too?
3. Speed of the WIFI - how many people use it? on average?
4. Are the bathrooms clean? long queue times?
5. How is the food?

Thank you
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Karl Bhop)
Hi, I have a few questions about Kingswood.

1. What's the difference between Kingswood 1 and 2?
2. Are you able to choose between Kingswood 1 and 2? if so, does the price change too?
3. Speed of the WIFI - how many people use it? on average?
4. Are the bathrooms clean? long queue times?
5. How is the food?

Thank you
Hi Karl Bhop,

I lived in Kingswood 2 in my first year at Royal Holloway so I'm happy to help! You can choose between Kingswood 1 or 2 and the price varies depending on the price band they sit in. Kingswood 2 fall under Band C and the rooms in are all identical single en-suite rooms. You usually are in a flat with five to eight other students and have a shared pantry that includes a fridge, microwave, toaster and kettle. This is great for preparing smaller meals such as breakfast and lunches. The flats are mixed gendered and you'll have your room for 38 weeks, which means you don't have to move out for the Christmas or Easter breaks.

Kingswood 1 has two different band options: Band E1 and Band E2. Rooms in both bands are single bedrooms that may or may not have a washbasin and you'll be in single gendered areas. You'll also have access to a pantry in Kingswood 1 with the same amenities as Kingswood 2 (toaster, microwave, etc). The main difference between these bands is the letting period. For Band E2, it's 38 weeks like Kingswood 2 and 30 weeks for Band E1, which means that you'll need to move your things out of your room over the Christmas and Easter breaks. Kingswood 1 has shared bathroom facilities that are cleaned daily. As every student has a different schedule, there's usually a bathroom free at all times.

As Kingswood 1 and 2 are catered halls, you can eat at KW's dining hall, which is located at Kingswood but you are also welcome to eat at Founder's Dining Hall. Catered students receive 50% off of food when using a college card so a main, side and drink is around £3. I found that there was a good variety of options every day and my flatmates and I would always head down to dinner together. If you'd like something different, Kingswood also has it's own cafe/bar 8Bar9 where you can get toasties at breakfast; burgers, soups and salads for lunch and a range of snacks in the evening such as the loaded nachos that my flatmates and I had almost every week.

Because Kingswood sits just off the main campus, I found that it had it's own community. I really enjoyed weekends at Kingswood because it's just next to the Air Forces Memorial and surrounded by nature. In the warmer weather, my friends and I would go for walks around the nearby parks. There's also a free bus service that takes you to main campus in five minutes or you could walk the 15-20 minutes to get there. The campus wifi covers Kingswood and I never had any problems with the internet.

Overall, I always say that living in Kingswood was one of the highlights of my Royal Holloway experience. My flatmates from first year are some of my best friends today!

If you have any other questions, please just let me know.

Susana
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads