Car accident (is it my fault?) Watch

Mya Neagle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was in a car accident today.
2 of my friends were in the lanes to go straight ahead, and the 3rd was in the lane to go right. The friend going right had just passed and had a Green P plate.
My friend in my car and I said “let’s move lanes he probably doesn’t know where he is going”!
All the lights are red.
I put my indicator on to move right (into the lane going straight ahead). I had good observation and no cars were in sight.
I’m travelling 5mph to move right , I then see this car travelling probably 30 to 40 mph.
The lights then turn green.
The front of my car hits the side of this Citroen.
They have marks and a small dent, and my car had a few marks.
I passed in March and got car insurance with more than smart wheels in April. My insurance is £1200.
What will happen to my insurance, and who’s fault do you think it is ?
Btw I’m a really good driver and this is my first crash, I passed with 2 minors.
Mosinwywyeye
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hm okay. So you switched lanes and hit the car infront? Its hard to say what your insurance will be like but it will most definitely go up regardless of fault. Also it doesn't matter how many minors you got in your test to determine if you're a good driver.
I think according to the information you've given id have to say its your fault although i maybe wrong
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds both a bit at fault, but you more so (plus you're the one trying to change lanes, onus is more on you). You either had 'Really good observation and there were no cars' or 'you hit a car that you pulled into the path of' It can't be both. MY boss does that 'lane hopping' at sets of lights and it causes no end of trouble, people REALLY don't like it)

(C'mon....'Really Good Driver'? You've been on the road barely 8 weeks and likely caused an accident due to backseat driving )
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nobody is a good driver when they first pass their test. Why were you on the road with so many friends in different cars? It sounds like something from Grease. You probably weren’t paying attention.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mya Neagle)
I was in a car accident today.
2 of my friends were in the lanes to go straight ahead, and the 3rd was in the lane to go right. The friend going right had just passed and had a Green P plate.
My friend in my car and I said “let’s move lanes he probably doesn’t know where he is going”!
All the lights are red.
I put my indicator on to move right (into the lane going straight ahead). I had good observation and no cars were in sight.
I’m travelling 5mph to move right , I then see this car travelling probably 30 to 40 mph.
The lights then turn green.
The front of my car hits the side of this Citroen.
They have marks and a small dent, and my car had a few marks.
I passed in March and got car insurance with more than smart wheels in April. My insurance is £1200.
What will happen to my insurance, and who’s fault do you think it is ?
Btw I’m a really good driver and this is my first crash, I passed with 2 minors.
So.. you are one of those twits who changes lane at a red light? Your fault.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like you're at fault... If you hit the side of them they were next to you so how did you not see them coming and realise you needed to give way to those in the lane.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are a "really good driver" who had "good observation" and still managed to drive into another car while changing lanes?

I don't even understand your description of the situation. Are there three lanes on this road? And you were in the leftmost lane? Cuz that's the only way it makes sense for you to move right to go straight ahead.
mh800
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This situation sounds a bit confusing and if the insurance thinks so too then the fault is often divided between the parties. So your insurance would likely go up but this depends on the exact terms of your policy. There are always those dead zones in your rearview mirror field of view, and it appears that you may not have seen the other car come up and drive by for that reason. I wish that driving instruction would practice handling these complications more than is typically done. You will develop more experience as you drive more as to where and how to look for hidden vehicles as they approach.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (149)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.22%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.3%

Watched Threads