What do you guys reckon?
Last edited by HateOCR; 3 weeks ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nice clickbait title.

Maybe hang out with people who aren't stereotypical gunners or really socially awkward? You are giving off slight gunner vibes yourself though - no one hates the fact that you're revising throughout the year, honest

I agree that there are certainly medical students who are hypercompetitive or socially awkward (usually in a harmless way imho). Most medical schools have very large cohort sizes and a lot of different personality types are represented - including some people you probably aren't ever going to get along with. The good news is that you have five years to work out which types you click with and which you don't.

Having said that, do remember that you're all first years. A significant number of your classmates are only 18 or 19 i.e. this time last year they were still at school, living at home, never left their hometown, always used to being top of the class etc. Medical school is a big change and understandably some people will feel quite anxious or uncertain, and in some cases this may manifest itself as annoying behaviours. There is still a long way to go in terms of maturity, personal development, or even just honing one's social skills. I think none of us really knows what's going on in anyone else's personal life, so it's always better to try and be patient rather than getting irritated - this is something I've realised more and more as I've gotten older.

I don't really think medics are more annoying than any other large group of students.

So yeah, my advice would be to keep an open mind and stick to your own principles. If you think collaboration is a good thing and it's silly to hog resources or notes, then be the guy who's happy to share without expecting anything in return (obviously without being smug about it)
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The ones I've met have pretty much all been sound.

We do have to out signs in the loos in their buildings asking 'em not to lob chewy down the urinals, though. So smart in some senses, anyway.
Last edited by gjd800; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads