Job at 16 Watch

Cri baby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to get a job at 16 and am planning to start after work experience during summer. I asked my cousin about how to apply and he said that work places aren't allowed to take paper CV's as it's personal information that they might not use or something like that. How do I apply? Do I go in stores to ask for vacancies? I've looked online but don't know how to inquire about a particular branch (I was looking at Boots). Please help. Any advice will be cherished lol
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cri baby)
I want to get a job at 16 and am planning to start after work experience during summer. I asked my cousin about how to apply and he said that work places aren't allowed to take paper CV's as it's personal information that they might not use or something like that. How do I apply? Do I go in stores to ask for vacancies? I've looked online but don't know how to inquire about a particular branch (I was looking at Boots). Please help. Any advice will be cherished lol
Companies can choose to take paper CVs if you hand them in, but a lot of vacancies are advertised online and many companies do prefer online applications now. However, there is no harm in asking around your local high street to enquire about vacancies or hand in a CV. You can also have a look at Facebook pages of local companies as they may advertise positions there and also use job sites like Indeed to find out what is available in your local area. If you are interested in Boots, you can look at https://www.boots.jobs to see if anything is available in your local branch or ask in-store.
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cri baby)
Most large, national companies will have online application processes, so for Boots, Tesco, Next etc look at their websites.

If you want to apply to smaller shops and businesses, then current GDPR rules mean that companies shouldn't take CVs just handed over, which doesn't mean they don't sometimes, but it will be a declining opportunity. The best thing to do is spend a day walking around town asking in shops etc if they have any opportunities. If they say yes, then go home and make a tailored application to that particular shop, and hand it in to them. If they actually have a vacancy, they can take an application.

Also, look at the jobs pages of your local newspaper - which will probably be online nowadays. Local jobs often advertise in there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads