physics help Watch

frenchfrench
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
can someone please explain this to me as it literally makes no sense to me in my head
ive watched freesciencelessons but i still don't get it
the total resistance of the two resistors in parallel is less than the resistance of the smallest resistor
Jme33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just use the formula 1/R = 1/R + 1/R
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by frenchfrench)
can someone please explain this to me as it literally makes no sense to me in my head
the total resistance of the two resistors in parallel is less than the resistance of the smallest resistor
Think of electricity as water. The voltage across the resistors is the pressure driving the current / flow. It doesn't change whether you have one or many resistors in parallel. The pressure will cause the same current to flow through every resistor. If you have two in parallel, you will have twice the flow / current as having one, so have halved the effective resistance.
Tbn2002
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was STUCK ON THE EXACT SAME THING
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by frenchfrench)
As rogeroxon said resistors in parallel have the same PD across them.

so if you have a low value resistor and a high value resistor in parallel with a voltage across them, the low value resistor will pass the current Ohm's law tells you to expect for that resistor... but the high value resistor parallel to it will always pass some extra current as well - so the parallel pair always passes more current than just the lower value resistor alone.

more current than the low value resistor alone at the same voltage means lower total resistance.

But just remember the 1/Rtotal=1/R1+1/R2... rule tbh.
frenchfrench
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
do you need to know that formula for gcse?
(Original post by Joinedup)
As rogeroxon said resistors in parallel have the same PD across them.

so if you have a low value resistor and a high value resistor in parallel with a voltage across them, the low value resistor will pass the current Ohm's law tells you to expect for that resistor... but the high value resistor parallel to it will always pass some extra current as well - so the parallel pair always passes more current than just the lower value resistor alone.

more current than the low value resistor alone at the same voltage means lower total resistance.

But just remember the 1/Rtotal=1/R1+1/R2... rule tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.12%
The paper was reasonable (1116)
55.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.84%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads