Extenuating circumstances for hospital visit? Watch

MGTstudent123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

So I am just wondering what everybody's opinion is regarding whether this is ground for extenuating circumstances. Around 3 weeks ago I had to visit the hospital due to severe chest pains after heavily abusing drugs. I reported this to my department a week after the fact. This trip is on record along with a prescription of antibiotics to clear up an infection, I have a history of mental health issues and this is known to my GP, I am meeting with him of friday to acquire medical evidence.

However this occurred 3 weeks before my exams, do you think the time gap is to great to be considered to se-sit my exams uncapped? I am currently receiving professional help.

All opinions are greatly appreciated, sorry for the depressing topic.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MGTstudent123)
Hello everyone,

So I am just wondering what everybody's opinion is regarding whether this is ground for extenuating circumstances. Around 3 weeks ago I had to visit the hospital due to severe chest pains after heavily abusing drugs. I reported this to my department a week after the fact. This trip is on record along with a prescription of antibiotics to clear up an infection, I have a history of mental health issues and this is known to my GP, I am meeting with him of friday to acquire medical evidence.

However this occurred 3 weeks before my exams, do you think the time gap is to great to be considered to se-sit my exams uncapped? I am currently receiving professional help.

Not sure, speak to a tutor who can tell you more
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They might, they might not. I had an uncapped resit in my final year due in part to a decline in my mental health. Are you getting support from DSA?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I dont think a tutor can tell you more. It will depend what the ext circs panel thinks.
You need to read the rules or failing that talk to a student advisor about the ext circs process or look online.
One of the issues is circumstances that were unavoidable and beyond your control.
Taking drugs could be argued to be within your control.

The panel will be looking at the evidence you provide, your explanation, why you meet the criteria and what you want.

Of importance will be the following.

Medical record.
MH issues over what period and impact.
Drugs issues/ problem.

Record of visiting and then opinion of MH people and GP.
Has the exam happened? If they have happened, then did you sit? I think that is harder to get out of than if they havent happened or you didnt sit.

You will need to present yourself as someone with MH issues that couldnt help themselves and someone who continues to suffer.

The evidence and opinion of the GP and MH people is going to be crucial. If they dont believe your narrative and support it, then the panel will not.
MGTstudent123
Rep:
?
Hey, no im not currently receiving support from the DSA I have been advised to go and see them soon, after I finish my last exam ill go and see them.
(Original post by Pathway)
They might, they might not. I had an uncapped resit in my final year due in part to a decline in my mental health. Are you getting support from DSA?
MGTstudent123
Rep:
?
Hey, thanks for your answer, The university have known of this problem for two years now. Ive had 2 exams which I have sat but I definitely feel that I have failed. My GP has written evidence for me in the past and is generally supportive so I am confident of medical evidence. I suppose the major concern is whether this circumstance is out of my control or not, I also found myself in this situation and January and am resitting uncapped this august, This may play against me as the panel may feel I am asking too much/ not taking personal responsibility for my studies. Either way all I can do now is apply and hope for the best.
(Original post by 999tigger)
I dont think a tutor can tell you more. It will depend what the ext circs panel thinks.
You need to read the rules or failing that talk to a student advisor about the ext circs process or look online.
One of the issues is circumstances that were unavoidable and beyond your control.
Taking drugs could be argued to be within your control.

The panel will be looking at the evidence you provide, your explanation, why you meet the criteria and what you want.

Of importance will be the following.

Medical record.
MH issues over what period and impact.
Drugs issues/ problem.

Record of visiting and then opinion of MH people and GP.
Has the exam happened? If they have happened, then did you sit? I think that is harder to get out of than if they havent happened or you didnt sit.

You will need to present yourself as someone with MH issues that couldnt help themselves and someone who continues to suffer.

The evidence and opinion of the GP and MH people is going to be crucial. If they dont believe your narrative and support it, then the panel will not.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
You will need to fill out a notification of extenuating circumstances; with evidence from your GP that you've struggled with your mental health (I.e a doctor's note). Go into detail about how your mental health is affecting your ability to study; and mention the hospital visit as a part of this and you should be able to get a first sit in the summer. Depending on your uni you will probably be safe and referred to student services. Better book a doctor's appointment sooner rather than later to obtain medical evidence for your NEC though.
Hello everyone,

999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, thanks for your answer, The university have known of this problem for two years now. Ive had 2 exams which I have sat but I definitely feel that I have failed. My GP has written evidence for me in the past and is generally supportive so I am confident of medical evidence. I suppose the major concern is whether this circumstance is out of my control or not, I also found myself in this situation and January and am resitting uncapped this august, This may play against me as the panel may feel I am asking too much/ not taking personal responsibility for my studies. Either way all I can do now is apply and hope for the best.
What might happen is they accept your issue, but the consequences of that are your MH or drug issues are so serious, then they withdraw you from university. Imo they cant carry on the way they have as its not a hospital and you either have serious drug or MH issues. Just apply and see. It is better you get healthy first.

How have your grades been at uni?
Did you have the drug issue before uni or did it develop there? I assume its more than cannabis? Same with MH. I suppose your GPO will need to also mention your continued attendance for treatment, any improvement and your effort.
hallamstudents
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey,

If you can appeal to them through your mental health, they may be able to allow you.
I feel as though it's very difficult to receive an uncapped resit, but I have never tried.
If your extenuating circumstances can be proven (evidence of mental health, i.e. seeking help, therapists, etc), I'm sure they will be more likely to judge in your favour.

Hope you can get this resolved, and best of luck. A lot of what the others cover in the thread is pretty good.
Josh
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

The thing that is sticking out like a sore thumb for me here is that you've sat the examinations! Are you sure your university doesn't have a 'fit to sit' policy, where the act of sitting an examination or taking an assessment is confirmation that you are fit and well to sit it. In other words, you can't later rely on extenuating circumstances to explain a poor performance if you've sat the examination, whether or not you've disclosed pre-existing ECs.

If this isn't the policy at your university, and they will allow you to sit and examination and then make a EC application based on pre-disclosed information, then that's fine. But I'd be sure to check this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.13%
The paper was reasonable (1114)
55.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.86%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads