Switching Sixth Forms after Y12? Watch

Ar312
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this to (I’m new and have no idea what I’m doing), please tell me if I need to move it to a different forum.

Basically, I want to switch sixth forms as my current one is letting me down a little academically. All of my classes have had issues with teaching, but one of my classes has been such a joke that I can’t even tell you what topics are on the syllabus let alone the details of things. I also feel a bit unwelcome in some of my classes as one of the only girls in the subjects I take (I haven’t felt this way when I’ve been one of the only girls at past schools/activities, it’s just here), and I feel complacent where I am at. I know that I will still get good grades, but a new place that is better academically will hopefully give me the push I need to achieve the best grades possible.

There are some downsides though, especially since I go to a boarding school. I would feel guilty for leaving my friends, and I understand that at a new school everything from friendship groups to teaching style to my room would be different. Not to mention the difficulties with cost and logistics of predicted grades and the switch etc. I also know it’s quite late in the year to be applying to schools (especially as a applicant for year 13).

Despite all that, I really want to switch as I am hoping for Oxbridge and I am achieving the grades I should be at my school, but in my opinion my school is not preparing me well enough for the real exams next year. I am more than willing to put in any extra effort to make the transition work, and I think that my academic success comes (unfortunately) above my friends and other things in this moment.

Would the transition even be possible? If so is it a good idea? Is it too late for me to apply? What are your general thoughts on it?

Just as a p.s. I didn’t take one of my current subjects at gcse, and I have worked hard and I am now at the top of my class for it, so academically I am more than willing and capable of jumps.

I really need advice and if you have any questions or need clarification please just ask me. Thank you.
Last edited by Ar312; 3 weeks ago
anon123a
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
so you want to move for your last year of A-levels?
anon123a
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
also sorry as this really isn't related but how is a boarding school? Do you enjoy it?
(Original post by Ar312)
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this to (I’m new and have no idea what I’m doing), please tell me if I need to move it to a different forum.

Basically, I want to switch sixth forms as my current one is letting me down a little academically. All of my classes have had issues with teaching, but one of my classes has been such a joke that I can’t even tell you what topics are on the syllabus let alone the details of things. I also feel a bit unwelcome in some of my classes as one of the only girls in the subjects I take (I haven’t felt this way when I’ve been one of the only girls at past schools/activities, it’s just here), and I feel complacent where I am at. I know that I will still get good grades, but a new place that is better academically will hopefully give me the push I need to achieve the best grades possible.

There are some downsides though, especially since I go to a boarding school. I would feel guilty for leaving my friends, and I understand that at a new school everything from friendship groups to teaching style to my room would be different. Not to mention the difficulties with cost and logistics of predicted grades and the switch etc. I also know it’s quite late in the year to be applying to schools (especially as a applicant for year 13).

Despite all that, I really want to switch as I am hoping for Oxbridge and I am achieving the grades I should be at my school, but in my opinion my school is not preparing me well enough for the real exams next year. I am more than willing to put in any extra effort to make the transition work, and I think that my academic success comes (unfortunately) above my friends and other things in this moment.

Would the transition even be possible? If so is it a good idea? Is it too late for me to apply? What are your general thoughts on it?

Just as a p.s. I didn’t take one of my current subjects at gcse, and I have worked hard and I am now at the top of my class for it, so academically I am more than willing and capable of jumps.

I really need advice and if you have any questions or need clarification please just ask me. Thank you.
username4008458
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yy
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ar312
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon123a)
so you want to move for your last year of A-levels?
Yeah, I know it’s quite difficult to do but I think my grades will suffer if I stay where I am currently.
Ar312
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon123a)
also sorry as this really isn't related but how is a boarding school? Do you enjoy it?
Its my first year and it takes some getting used to but after a while it just feels normal. I do like it, especially since it’s basically one long sleepover with friends, but it all depends on schools and personal experiences.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Guysss
I need helpp pleaseee
My and my friends value for chemistry practical are exactly the same
Like her candidate number is one after me
I am so scared
Guys please tell me
Any idea what will happen
anon123a
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i mean, i think your grades will suffer even in a new boarding school like you will have to make friends and just do that whole process again which is very long and even time consuming but of course i dont know how you are in terms of socially and if your that bothered. but if you really think that its failing you , yes, move but its your last year and the first years content is done and they may be doing different units/topics/exam board that you weren't doing initially so check on that .. idk

good luck!

original post by Ar312)
Yeah, I know it’s quite difficult to do but I think my grades will suffer if I stay where I am currently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.14%
The paper was reasonable (1113)
55.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.87%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.92%

Watched Threads