Should I still go for medicine or do something else? Watch

d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ever since i was a child I’ve always dreamed of becoming a doctor, but recently i’ve been put off by all the hard work. I know if i get into medical school i will work, but i don’t like the idea of having to learn anatomy and physiology! Should i still do medicine and power through my least favourite topics or go for an alternative such as optometry or becoming a teacher(which is defo a good backup!)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well if you’re asking this question it sounds like medicine isn’t really for you.
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illusination)
Well if you’re asking this question it sounds like medicine isn’t really for you.
But i’m not sure whether I’m asking this if i’m just being lazy and making excuses not to do it?
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
But i’m not sure whether I’m asking this if i’m just being lazy and making excuses not to do it?
You should know for certain if you want to do medicine by now. If you are having second thoughts then perhaps look into other courses. Anatomy and Physiology make up a pretty big chunk of the course so don’t go into doing something you hate because that will make your uni experience worse. That’s just my thoughts.
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ever since i was a child I’ve always dreamed of becoming a doctor, but recently i’ve been put off by all the hard work. I know if i get into medical school i will work, but i don’t like the idea of having to learn anatomy and physiology! Should i still do medicine and power through my least favourite topics or go for an alternative such as optometry or becoming a teacher(which is defo a good backup!)
Medicine is hard, a loootttt of work, independant study, no holidays, just study. If you dont like anatomy fully, and you have these questions, better find something else. You will struggle!
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by the_queen)
Medicine is hard, a loootttt of work, independant study, no holidays, just study. If you dont like anatomy fully, and you have these questions, better find something else. You will struggle!
I was thinking i could just power through the parts that i don’t like, such as the heart etc. Would that be an impossible task?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
> I want to be a doctor
> I don't want to work hard

ok
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is it you think you won't like about learning anatomy and physiology?

You know there is some anatomy and physiology in an optometry degree too right?
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
What is it you think you won't like about learning anatomy and physiology?

You know there is some anatomy and physiology in an optometry degree too right?
I’m not sure it just isn’t as interesting and disease and metabolic processes etc and there’s just loads of it to learn
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was thinking i could just power through the parts that i don’t like, such as the heart etc. Would that be an impossible task?
Well in medicine it’s not really just the heart you’re learning about is it? Sounds like medicine isn’t for you.
Splishsplash
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi d0nkey_dude Maybe you need to consider at this moment why you want to be a doctor (not about your dream at an early age) and is this ambition strong enough to carry you through the low points of your studies / career - studying subjects that you might not interest you, high workload possibly reducing your social / free time, dealing with very difficult behaviour from patients who deep down are just fearful of their health outcome, unsociable working hours etc. Don't do it because it's highly respected, good money, your friends / family / school are pressuring you.
If you're looking to apply for Sept 2020 and you haven't already had some some relevant work experience, you'll need to get it in the next couple of months before applying by mid Oct. Also assuming you've pretty strong GCSEs and predicted A level grades (Chem / Bio).
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Splishsplash)
Hi d0nkey_dude Maybe you need to consider at this moment why you want to be a doctor (not about your dream at an early age) and is this ambition strong enough to carry you through the low points of your studies / career - studying subjects that you might not interest you, high workload possibly reducing your social / free time, dealing with very difficult behaviour from patients who deep down are just fearful of their health outcome, unsociable working hours etc. Don't do it because it's highly respected, good money, your friends / family / school are pressuring you.
If you're looking to apply for Sept 2020 and you haven't already had some some relevant work experience, you'll need to get it in the next couple of months before applying by mid Oct. Also assuming you've pretty strong GCSEs and predicted A level grades (Chem / Bio).
Well i’ve just done my end of year 12 exams so should be getting my grades soon, gcse’s were decent. Thanks for the good advice and putting it into perspective so I will have a think about it!
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The work is huge, if you are not really passionate by the subject it will not be friendly.... at all! There are chances you will hate it, there are many students who abandoned the course because of the wotkload. Take care!
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by the_queen)
The work is huge, if you are not really passionate by the subject it will not be friendly.... at all! There are chances you will hate it, there are many students who abandoned the course because of the wotkload. Take care!
I think i might have to consider alternative career options such as optometry, teaching, research etc
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know if i get into medical school i will work, but i don’t like the idea of having to learn anatomy and physiology!
I’m not sure it just isn’t as interesting and disease and metabolic processes etc and there’s just loads of it to learn
You can't learn about abnormal function unless you know what normal function is. Not wanting to do physiology but go straight to pathology is like wanting to make an omelette for lunch but not wanting to crack any eggs.
Last edited by Reality Check; 3 weeks ago
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The journey of going through medical school and becoming a doctor will give you enough reasons to want to quit and give it up, if you’re already uncertain at this stage and not 100% committed then I wouldn’t advise pursuing it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.14%
The paper was reasonable (1113)
55.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.87%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.92%

Watched Threads