Do A levels taken in different sittings still count towards medical school?

Watch
heather140900
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm thinking of taking some A levels this year and doing other A levels during a gap year to enable me to study medicine. The subjects are what I need but will they count towards my application as I took them in different sittings? E.g. I will get biology in 2019 then chemistry in 2020. Due to this some will be achieved and others predicted. Will this be ok?
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe if you've done 3 in one sitting and then taken an extra 1 / 2 in a different year in order to meet subject requirements most would accept that- they want to see that you can cope with doing 3 at a time and still do well. If you do only 1 or 2 per sitting they are less likely to accept this. This is the kind of question it would be worth contacting the admissions teams of the universities you are interested in and asking directly.
heather140900
Rep:
?
I am only doing 2 this year however it is due to having a low attendance for health reasons. I went off sick in September and didn't manage to come to school full time until around February/march. I have more details on this post in regards to this issue
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5960978
Due to this do you think this will make them more lenient or do you think if I say do my 2 this year then 3 next year to show I can cope it will be ok? even if they are in different sittings e.g. Do bio this year then do chem next year with 2 other subjects?
(Original post by jzdzm)
I believe if you've done 3 in one sitting and then taken an extra 1 / 2 in a different year in order to meet subject requirements most would accept that- they want to see that you can cope with doing 3 at a time and still do well. If you do only 1 or 2 per sitting they are less likely to accept this. This is the kind of question it would be worth contacting the admissions teams of the universities you are interested in and asking directly.
heather140900
Rep:
?
Thank you. I'm doing a gap year in Japan first so I'll keep that in mid when deciding which uni's to apply to. Does this still apply to graduate medicine or just undergrad as I'm thinking of doing another degree first then apply to graduate medicine.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by heather140900)
I am only doing 2 this year however it is due to having a low attendance for health reasons. I went off sick in September and didn't manage to come to school full time until around February/march. I have more details on this post in regards to this issue
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5960978
Due to this do you think this will make them more lenient or do you think if I say do my 2 this year then 3 next year to show I can cope it will be ok? even if they are in different sittings e.g. Do bio this year then do chem next year with 2 other subjects?
You'll need to contact the universities and explain your situation and extenuating circumstances and then they'll be able to tell you whether they'll consider your application or not. Now is probably good time to do this as they may be less busy as they're not currently running interviews / assessing applications.

Graduate entry is much more competitive, so if you know that you want to do medicine you're much better off applying now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (167)
58.6%
I don't have everything I need (118)
41.4%

Watched Threads