Cant decide on engineering stream Watch

Certislikz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just finished my 1st year of engineering I have the option to go into any stream of engineering. I narrowed it down to non-specific engineering and mechanical. Both are accredited by institute of mechanical engineers.

The stats speak for themselves mechanical engineering grads at my uni 55% get a 2.1 or above.
Whereas in nonspecific 80% get a 2.1 above.

But then again final year for nonspecific weights highly on exams where mech is more on coursework ie project.

Also our thermodynamics and heat and fluids lectures are known for being really poor. I heard people in 2nd year were pretending to be sick in the exam to get out of it!

Anyways any advice would be appreciated.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Certislikz)
Just finished my 1st year of engineering I have the option to go into any stream of engineering. I narrowed it down to non-specific engineering and mechanical. Both are accredited by institute of mechanical engineers.

The stats speak for themselves mechanical engineering grads at my uni 55% get a 2.1 or above.

But then again final year for nonspecific weights highly on exams where mech is more on coursework ie project.

Also our thermodynamics and heat and fluids lectures are known for being really poor. I heard people in 2nd year were pretending to be sick in the exam to get out of it!

Would you actually graduate in "non-specific" engineering were you to choose that stream?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Ignore these idiots and data, what grade u achieve will be down to the work you put in, if you go the mechanical route just put the work in & you'll be fine. Not picking the subject you want to avoid 1 exam is ridiculous.

When you first lean fluid mechanics & thermodynamics it can seem complex and hard to get your head around as its really a new math intense subject where there's no real lead in/prior knowledge. I've got a mechanical engineering degree and can honestly say once you've learnt what's actually happening thermo/fluids is actually one of the easier subjects you'll have!

Normally non-specific is referred to as general engineering. I suspect career wise you might be better off going mechanical route, its seen as a good enough subject to go into almost engineering job with, whereas i think some employer will be put off by the term general.

Do you really want to look back at your degree and say i was scared away by some rumours from (dumb second year) students, or just take the path you want!
Certislikz
Rep:
?
I would graduate with a BEng in "Engineering" which is accredited by the institute of mechanical engineers.
(Original post by Smack)
Would you actually graduate in "non-specific" engineering were you to choose that stream?
Certislikz
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot

Yeah you are right it's down to my work levels
It's just that fluids and thermo in my 1st year I had thought I grasped the concepts really well and was able to do the coursework and problem sets with relative ease. I did further problems from the textbook. And somehow still feel as I did not so well in the exam.

On the other hand 2nd year the modules between mech eng and general engineering are the exact same. It's only in the final year where I drop fluids and thermo and go onto aeronautics and propulsion and medical physics and imaging. Whilst mech eng continues with fluids and thermo.

And considering both degrees are accredited by the institute of mechanical engineers I doubt it would have too much of an effect in career paths...or so I think
(Original post by mnot)
Ignore these idiots and data, what grade u achieve will be down to the work you put in, if you go the mechanical route just put the work in & you'll be fine. Not picking the subject you want to avoid 1 exam is ridiculous.

When you first lean fluid mechanics & thermodynamics it can seem complex and hard to get your head around as its really a new math intense subject where there's no real lead in/prior knowledge. I've got a mechanical engineering degree and can honestly say once you've learnt what's actually happening thermo/fluids is actually one of the easier subjects you'll have!

Normally non-specific is referred to as general engineering. I suspect career wise you might be better off going mechanical route, its seen as a good enough subject to go into almost engineering job with, whereas i think some employer will be put off by the term general.

Do you really want to look back at your degree and say i was scared away by some rumours from (dumb second year) students, or just take the path you want!
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would graduate with a BEng in "Engineering" which is accredited by the institute of mechanical engineers.
OK, in that instance, I would largely agree with what mnot has said. I would select based on what modules appeal the most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.14%
The paper was reasonable (1113)
55.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.87%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.92%

Watched Threads