National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
"How many footballs will fit in this room?"

"What would your super-power be?"

"How do you feel about garden gnomes?"

Most interview questions are straightforward, but sometimes you get a curve ball and have to think on your feet!

We want to hear from you about all the weird and confusing interview questions you've been asked and how you managed to answer them!
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
A few of our advisers have offered their strange experiences to begin with:

Laura – “I was asked whether I preferred cats or dogs! I said both but if pushed would go with dogs – didn’t get the job so must have been the wrong option!”
(Original post by National Careers Service)

Most interview questions are straightforward, but sometimes you get a curve ball and have to think on your feet!

We want to hear from you about all the weird and confusing interview questions you've been asked and how you managed to answer them!
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Sam – “Tell us your favourite joke was something I got asked! I can’t remember what I told but it must have worked as I was there for 5 years!”

National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Richard - “I was asked if I would rather be able to breathe underwater or fly! I’m a bit scared of heights so it was an easy choice for me in the end!”
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
De Montfort Hall asked me what 'What do you think our diversity policy should be?' which struck me as a bit weird (it was a bar job).
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 3 weeks ago
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Double post because I have a good one this time. My last employer asked what I'd do if I were 'a juggling instructor who had to devote six hours of my afternoon to teaching a hundred people of different abilities'.

I'm pretty it was designed to judge my time-management skills. I said that I'd divide the group up into quality and spend more time with the beginners and less time with the advanced jugglers. I do like these kinds of questions as you can be creative.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Thanks for you post!

I think you're right with regards to the reasons for the slightly strange questions - employers want to get a better idea of who you are as a person and your thought processes and questions like these mean you can't rely on memorised answers and have to show a bit more of yourself in your answers!
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
Double post because I have a good one this time. My last employer asked what I'd do if I were 'a juggling instructor who had to devote six hours of my afternoon to teaching a hundred people of different abilities'.

I'm pretty it was designed to judge my time-management skills. I said that I'd divide the group up into quality and spend more time with the beginners and less time with the advanced jugglers. I do like these kinds of questions as you can be creative.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:argh:
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
It's a weird one to be sure, but you never know what sort of questions you might be faced with!

Speaking of, how do you feel about garden gnomes, Kinyonga?
(Original post by Kinyonga)
:argh:
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a weird one to be sure, but you never know what sort of questions you might be faced with!

Speaking of, how do you feel about garden gnomes, Kinyonga?
They're creepy. Why put a fake gnome in your garden? Just get a real one.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Getting a real gnome would save you money on shoe repair and Christmas toys!

Maybe it's a good investment!

(Original post by Kinyonga)
They're creepy. Why put a fake gnome in your garden? Just get a real one.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
...or maybe that's elves?
Getting a real gnome would save you money on shoe repair and Christmas toys!

Maybe it's a good investment!
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My interviewer for my current job asked me what the score will be for tonight, as he was a fan of the opposing team at the time.

I said I think we'd lose or draw and said if I was right I'd get the job, we drew and I got the job offer the next morning
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"What's the colour of money?"

Was an interesting one, not sure how commonly asked it is though.
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not for a job interview, but at my interview for Cambridge University, when discussing the text I'd been given, I was asked where I'd go for more information on that topic. I said the library (talked about preferring books & journals, useful librarians, the excellent research library they have etc.), and they asked:

"Where is the library?"

They didn't seem very impressed when I told them where it was... my answer got me a "hmm" and disapproving looks followed by some note-taking, and needless to say I wasn't offered a place. 10 years later and I've still no clue what they wanted from me!
(And I definitely gave the right location - first thing I checked after the interview!)
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"Can you think of a particular occasion when you have accepted difficult feedback knowing it would help you improve?"

Paint yourself as an incompetent idiot over something truly disastrous for management to take you aside and tell you that you're underperforming/whatever, then demonstrate how you recovered all while trying to dig yourself out of the hole you dug for yourself answering the question. Absolutely hate those reflective questions because of the very delicate balancing act involved in showing you have some sort of incapability without being truly incapable of the new role.

McDonalds threw me once with "if you were a brand, which one would it be and why?"
eeeee_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
not a job interview but for uni, and in context it makes sense but it started off with "so why lemons?"
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
We've really enjoyed seeing your strange interview questions come through today. Most of us experience a curve ball question at some point as part of an interview.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At a job interview for a Teacher of Science job, I was asked by the student panel "What element or compound would you be and why?"
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
At a job interview for a Teacher of Science job, I was asked by the student panel "What element or compound would you be and why?"
I really like this question! What did you say?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.12%
The paper was reasonable (1116)
55.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.84%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads