aleena 1212
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I am in year 12 and im trying to decide on what degree i should take. I have done a lot of research but I wanted to get some recommendations from you guys.

Currently I go to a grammar school sixth form and there is a lot of pressure to do a high status degree, but truthfully i don't really care about wage as long as I am happy and i can support my family financially aswell, I just want to inspire people, help them and bring a smile to everyone's faces. i considered taking a gap year to get to know myself and find the lost skills that i would like to develop during that time, but my parents said its better to get a degree first (apparently its looked down upon in indian culture idek). what do you think?

I am currently working at a* for psychology, b/c for chemistry and biology. I am finding chemistry quite challenging, but i am aiming to get a* a a because i know i am capable. The only problem is that, getting work experience is really hard since I am still only 16. Additionally, I work part time at specsavers as an optical consultant. This means that it would be much easier to get an offer cuz i have a lot of experience whilst working with optometrist, but i don't want to take the easy route. but after 6 months of working there, i realised that there is a lot of retail within optometry, and i am not fond of working in retail. I believe that I would be better suited to a more clinical setting, but i am still not confident since I haven't been able to get work experience yet. But i volunteer at a carehome and I really enjoy it, the only problem is that i prefer working with kids, so I don't know whether to go to children nursing or adult nursing.

my mum said it would be better to do adult nursing then i can do a 1 year additional course for child nursing, because then there may be more job opportunities in the future, especially because I am fond of going to another country to work for a couple of years.

Also if i was to do nursing, i wanted to work in the army, does anyone have any information on that. I looked at the royal airforce but i realised that this means there will be a lot of flying etc, but in wanted to stay on campsites at different countries, is this possible?

also i have come to realise that i get bored really easily, because i can grasp/ understand things really quickly, so having a job where I can develop as a person and learn lots of things as well as keep me on my feet is really important for me.

I want to do a lot of things in my lifetime...

Thank you for reading and please help. if there are any future optometrists/ nurses please share your side of the story.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aleena 1212)
Hi everyone, I am in year 12 and im trying to decide on what degree i should take. I have done a lot of research but I wanted to get some recommendations from you guys.

Currently I go to a grammar school sixth form and there is a lot of pressure to do a high status degree, but truthfully i don't really care about wage as long as I am happy and i can support my family financially aswell, I just want to inspire people, help them and bring a smile to everyone's faces. i considered taking a gap year to get to know myself and find the lost skills that i would like to develop during that time, but my parents said its better to get a degree first (apparently its looked down upon in indian culture idek). what do you think?

I am currently working at a* for psychology, b/c for chemistry and biology. I am finding chemistry quite challenging, but i am aiming to get a* a a because i know i am capable. The only problem is that, getting work experience is really hard since I am still only 16. Additionally, I work part time at specsavers as an optical consultant. This means that it would be much easier to get an offer cuz i have a lot of experience whilst working with optometrist, but i don't want to take the easy route. but after 6 months of working there, i realised that there is a lot of retail within optometry, and i am not fond of working in retail. I believe that I would be better suited to a more clinical setting, but i am still not confident since I haven't been able to get work experience yet. But i volunteer at a carehome and I really enjoy it, the only problem is that i prefer working with kids, so I don't know whether to go to children nursing or adult nursing.

my mum said it would be better to do adult nursing then i can do a 1 year additional course for child nursing, because then there may be more job opportunities in the future, especially because I am fond of going to another country to work for a couple of years.

Also if i was to do nursing, i wanted to work in the army, does anyone have any information on that. I looked at the royal airforce but i realised that this means there will be a lot of flying etc, but in wanted to stay on campsites at different countries, is this possible?

also i have come to realise that i get bored really easily, because i can grasp/ understand things really quickly, so having a job where I can develop as a person and learn lots of things as well as keep me on my feet is really important for me.

Thank you for reading and please help. if there are any future optometrists/ nurses please share your side of the story.
You can't rely on being able to do a course afterwards to convert to child nursing, get yourself some experience working with kids and then perhaps apply to child nursing.
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It's probably worth getting some advice from RAF_Adam too
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi

I can only advise about the RAF role as the Army may have different requirements etc. However, despite it being the RAF, you wouldn't be flying everyday, in fact, unless you're on exercise or operationally deployed, you would be in a medical centre on an RAF station, or working at an NHS hospital that the RAF is affiliated with, which keeps your knowledge and professional skills current etc. You can find out more on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website here:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...ed-nurse-adult

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
nwilkinson0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, working at Specsavers is a very retail job but other opticians are not! independent practices focus more on individual patients rather than pushing sales.. to an extent. Also, having a BSc in Optometry doesn't necessarily mean you need to go into high street opticians, many work in hospitals - so more of a clinical setting for you. Working in hospitals also means you will get to see some more exciting and rare things! alternatively, check out the Orthoptics course - the grades are slightly lower, and it focuses more on muscle movement and eye defects such as lazy eyes and squints, they are usually hospital or clinic based and see a lot of children which you mentioned you liked! I don't have an info on nursing unfortunately but hope that helped xx
aleena 1212
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. I'll look further into it. Is optometry in the hospital very demanding? Idk if you know but,I'm not sure if there is a high rate of employability.

For nursing on the other hand,there is a high demand for jobs. But I'm still not sure. I might take a gap year 😅
(Original post by nwilkinson0)
Hi, working at Specsavers is a very retail job but other opticians are not! independent practices focus more on individual patients rather than pushing sales.. to an extent. Also, having a BSc in Optometry doesn't necessarily mean you need to go into high street opticians, many work in hospitals - so more of a clinical setting for you. Working in hospitals also means you will get to see some more exciting and rare things! alternatively, check out the Orthoptics course - the grades are slightly lower, and it focuses more on muscle movement and eye defects such as lazy eyes and squints, they are usually hospital or clinic based and see a lot of children which you mentioned you liked! I don't have an info on nursing unfortunately but hope that helped xx
aleena 1212
Rep:
?
Thank you. I'm going to work on my fitness and aim go get good grades,then I'll see what I can do with my life. 😁

(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

I can only advise about the RAF role as the Army may have different requirements etc. However, despite it being the RAF, you wouldn't be flying everyday, in fact, unless you're on exercise or operationally deployed, you would be in a medical centre on an RAF station, or working at an NHS hospital that the RAF is affiliated with, which keeps your knowledge and professional skills current etc. You can find out more on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website here:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...ed-nurse-adult

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
nwilkinson0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, there is less demand for hospital optometrists than high street optometrists usually, but doesn’t mean to say there isn’t any! If you know what it’s what you want to do before the course it usually helps as you can get the relevant work experience/summer placements in hospitals to back your experience!
I think a gap year sounds like a good plan, you can take more time to research and get any work experience! Good luck! Xx
Thank you so much. I'll look further into it. Is optometry in the hospital very demanding? Idk if you know but,I'm not sure if there is a high rate of employability.

For nursing on the other hand,there is a high demand for jobs. But I'm still not sure. I might take a gap year 😅
A.varky13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
omg I know how u feel, I'm Indian too and my parents are telling me that I should do something in the medical sector and I'm thinking about doing optometry, I also volunteer at a care home and I'm starting work experience at Specsavers in July, what is it like?

aleena 1212
Rep:
?
It really does depend on which Specsavers branch yours is at tbh. I have a lot of very nice people that support me, and the manager is really nice. i really enjoy working there and I'm sure you will enjoy work experience too. before i got the job, i just sat in with the optoms, so there isn't a lot of hands-on work you can do unless you ask for it. also make sure to ask a lot of questions

like I really want to work in a hospital cuz I'm not about the retail life, but my uncles and aunties are all about status. so I'm kinda lost

if I'm not a doctor, i'm classed as a failure in Indian peoples perceptions of success. so I might as well give up on changing their ill-minded perceptions of success and instead try to be an inspiration for the younger kids, especially the Indian kids that are growing up outside of india, because they have so many expectations to live up to.

i kinda wan't to be a motivational speaker alongside my money earning job and in Specsavers, you work for 5 full days, whereas a nurse 3 days. so I am still lost.
(Original post by A.varky13)
omg I know how u feel, I'm Indian too and my parents are telling me that I should do something in the medical sector and I'm thinking about doing optometry, I also volunteer at a care home and I'm starting work experience at Specsavers in July, what is it like?
annamcbrideo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I would really recommend looking in to Orthoptics! It’s a 3 year degree, and at the end you will work in a hospital diagnosing and managing eye conditions. Mainly you work with children and the elderly which sounds perfect for you! You can arrange some work experience by contacting your local Orthoptics department (just give them a call) - hope this helps x
A.varky13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok great thanks!
yesss i know what u mean, we have to be either an engineer or a doctor or we are seen as a failure to our parents.
omg you want to be a motivational speaker!! girlll that's such a cool thing to want to be. Don't let those judgmental aunties and uncles get to u.
Also what part of India are u from?

It really does depend on which Specsavers branch yours is at tbh. I have a lot of very nice people that support me, and the manager is really nice. i really enjoy working there and I'm sure you will enjoy work experience too. before i got the job, i just sat in with the optoms, so there isn't a lot of hands-on work you can do unless you ask for it. also make sure to ask a lot of questions

like I really want to work in a hospital cuz I'm not about the retail life, but my uncles and aunties are all about status. so I'm kinda lost

if I'm not a doctor, i'm classed as a failure in Indian peoples perceptions of success. so I might as well give up on changing their ill-minded perceptions of success and instead try to be an inspiration for the younger kids, especially the Indian kids that are growing up outside of india, because they have so many expectations to live up to.

i kinda wan't to be a motivational speaker alongside my money earning job and in Specsavers, you work for 5 full days, whereas a nurse 3 days. so I am still lost.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (674)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (854)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.54%

Watched Threads