The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Can I aim for LSE/ Oxbridge/ UCL/ Durham after a 2:2 in first year?

I am currently in my first year of law. The British system is very new to me and I have been struggling and I don't think I'll get more than a 2:2. I aim to do a masters in Public Policy and Governance in one of the top unis like Oxbridge, Durham, LSE or UCL. If I do really well in second year and third year, will I have a fair shot at it, like a high 2:1 or first? I have finally got the hang of how to go about uni studying but I'm afraid it's too late to save my first year grades.
sure, especially in the UK they realise that first year is an acclimating stage. IN fact at Oxbridge then entire results of the first two years count for nothing, except an uncomfortable cup of tea with the department head if your at the bottom half of the class. (do hear it's very unpleasant though).

My personal tutor (a very smart lady PHD all kinds of qualifications MBA etc) told me first year marks are slightly important, but more important is an improving trajectory.

low performance first year, better performance second year, top performance third year.

Also personal statement and work experience will also play a role, it isn't just first year marks. Present an active body of work over three years and you will be fine.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
My first second, and third year grades were 60.02, 74% and 77% and I got into UCL and two prestigious internships. As you can see first year was very nearly a 2:2. You can improve and can certainly reach those unis for postgrad. Do note that they do pay attention to first year grades though so still try as hard as you can
If you get better grades, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest