The European Elections are taking place today! Watch

StrawberryDreams
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

The European Elections are taking place today (May 23rd) to elect members of the European Parliament (MEP's). It was unsure as to whether the UK would take part due to Brexit, but now there is a delay until the end of October the UK is taking part. What do you need to know?

Who can vote in the EU elections in the UK?
Voters must be registered to vote, be 18 years old or over on 23 May, be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of an EU country. You have to be resident at a UK address (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years) and not be legally excluded from voting.

How do the European parliamentary elections work?
Voters will choose 73 MEPs in 12 multi-member regional constituencies. Each region has a different number of MEPs based on its population. For more information on what the candidates stand for, and their views on Brexit, check this out.

To find out who you can vote for in your area, check out this handy tool.

The results are kept secret until the 26th May and are counted on a country by country basis.
Are you voting today?

Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 3 weeks ago
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Shall be voting tomorrow morning :yep:
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, for the Brexit Party.
realistpotato
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
can't vote yet but my parents support the left.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chakshita)
do u have to vote
You don't have to :
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can't wait to not vote in them.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
shan't be voting. A long way away, and didn't feel motivated to sort out postal voting. I can't honestly see the point in these elections, bar giving people a way to vent their anger. Nothing will change what ever the result.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
shan't be voting. A long way away, and didn't feel motivated to sort out postal voting. I can't honestly see the point in these elections, bar giving people a way to vent their anger. Nothing will change what ever the result.
I shall be venting my anger, Brexit Party for me.
Obolinda
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not voting obvs.

I'm too young
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I shall be venting my anger, Brexit Party for me.
Exactly, if there's one party who has the potential to do anything useful, it's the Brexit Party
I was once a Conservative but they've completely failed us all, May is absolutely incompetent. Nigel's the one to put pride and bottle back into the nation, I feel...
xelario
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chakshita)
do u have to vote
no, but it's wise to exercise your democratic right and let your voice be heard
Trithux
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, well, yes.
I'm not yet old enough to vote in the European Representative elections, however, my mum has put enough faith in me to guide her vote.
So - don't lynch me - I'm voting UKIP. Primarily, it's due to their policy on anti-censorship and free speech. Also, I'm a pretty big fan of some of their running MEPs who I would love to see represent the United Kingdom in the European Council.

I haven't reviewed their stance on Brexit, however, I don't particularly care anymore. I had initially been following Brexit like a stalker, but delay after delay came and I just wanted it to end - last bit of Brexit news I followed up on was the MPs wanting a second referendum instead of backing May's new proposed deal.
Last edited by Trithux; 3 weeks ago
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xelario)
no, but it's wise to exercise your democratic right and let your voice be heard
Very true.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, for the Green Party, who are committed to a second referendum and campaign for Remain should one be held. They already have a Green MEP in London and I want to keep it that way (or have more than one).
xAikx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Voting Lib Dems (y)
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeahyeah
Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Brexit Party.
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Yes, for the Green Party, who are committed to a second referendum and campaign for Remain should one be held. They already have a Green MEP in London and I want to keep it that way (or have more than one).
And that's the complete opposite of democracy. You can't just have another referendum on a matter just because you don't like the result of the first... It's not how democracy works, and a second referendum would be anti-democratic
Regardless of how much knowledge people had of Brexit when back in 2016, the majority of this country voted to leave the EU and that result should be honoured, just like Cameron, Corbyn et al all kept saying
Voting remain in a second referendum is just giving in to the EU's bullying and pressure; Corbyn changed his tune very quickly because of it, and May has recently too. Absolutely no bottle...
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
And that's the complete opposite of democracy. You can't just have another referendum on a matter just because you don't like the result of the first... It's not how democracy works, and a second referendum would be anti-democratic
Regardless of how much knowledge people had of Brexit when back in 2016, the majority of this country voted to leave the EU and that result should be honoured, just like Cameron, Corbyn et al all kept saying
Voting remain in a second referendum is just giving in to the EU's bullying and pressure; Corbyn changed his tune very quickly because of it, and May has recently too. Absolutely no bottle...
To quote David Davis 'A democracy ceases to be a democracy if it cannot change its mind'.
No-one voted for £39 billion payments as part of a transition. A deal to minimise the economic impacts of Brexit was allegedly going to be easy, but no-one foresaw how united the rest of the EU would be. The possibility of sympathetic treatment with the election of Francois Fillon as French President did not happen, and Angela Merkel's position in Germany is markedly weaker.
The election of Trump as US President made any possible trade deal less likely, given U.S. protectionism is a great part of his appeal.
The lies of many of the leaders of the Leave campaign have been exposed.
No-one really had much thought about the border question in Northern Ireland, and at the time there was a functioning Northern Ireland Assembly, which there is not now.
The need for common action across borders/countries on climate change and environmental matters is even greater, as we know much more how much damage is being done and things such as the impact of plastics in our ocean.
In 2015 we voted in a Tory majority government, in 2017 we changed our minds and did not.
e-Basic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Yes, for the Green Party, who are committed to a second referendum and campaign for Remain should one be held. They already have a Green MEP in London and I want to keep it that way (or have more than one)
Im voting green too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.12%
The paper was reasonable (1116)
55.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.84%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads