The Student Room Group

I want to get a pilot licence in the RAF. Can I pay to become a pilot in RAF?

Hi guys,
I was thinking of applying for the pilot officer role in RAF. But because I am 24, I will try my best to do the selection test. But I was thinking what if I don't get enough marks for the pilot role. Is there other ways to become a pilot in RAF? What if I do another role like engineering in RAF as I have a qualification. But can I still become a pilot. Is this a possibility?

Sorry for the strange questions. But any advice would be great.
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I didn't say I want to buy my way and get a free qualification. I said if I choose another career like an engineer. Can I pay to get pilot training and train and get a pilot license in RAF? No need to be rude. Nor I am super rich. Im just saying is there a way to get the training even though I am not a pilot in RAF.
Reply 2
You can pay for a civil license whilst in the RAF using learning credits provided by the MoD but the training will be done with a civilian company, not using the same aircraft as military pilot trainees.
Reply 3
ok thats fine. I just want to train as a pilot. Anyway I am good. Thanks
Original post by NFI
You can pay for a civil license whilst in the RAF using learning credits provided by the MoD but the training will be done with a civilian company, not using the same aircraft as military pilot trainees.
Reply 4
Original post by AmanCheema
ok thats fine. I just want to train as a pilot. Anyway I am good. Thanks

For clarity, that won’t make you an RAF pilot, it will just make you a member of the RAF with a civilian pilots license.
Reply 5
Im going in the RAF anyway. I want to be a pilot but if not that then I ll choose another role. Was just wondering if I can train to become a pilot privately myself while doing another role. Thanks
Im going in the RAF anyway. I want to be a pilot but if not that then I ll choose another role. Was just wondering if I can train to become a pilot privately myself while doing another role. Thanks

In that case, why even have RAF in the equation? You might as well work for a better company if you're going to get a pilot license privately anyways right?
Reply 7
Just calm down or just don't reply. "you can't bribe your way in by paying. It's not like taking a driving test, and you can't just buy a qualification." This is what you said. I am not bribing anyone. And your statement about buying a qualification means you said that I want to buy the license instead of the training. You could have said paying for the training. And paying for a training does happen. Don't you pay for the BSc course. Buying the BSc course means you are buying the degree. Just don't reply if you can't talk normally. Don't take your anger on my post.
I just wanted to train for a pilot. By RAF or normally it doesn't matter.
Reply 8
Sorry, I think my post isn't clear. I mean I want to go to RAF. It would be great if I go for the pilot role. But if not then I would still go there but choose something else. Also just wanted to know that then can I at least train as a pilot by paying. But I got my answer that I can't. And that I can only get the normal pilot license. As career for now I want to go to RAF
Thanks
Just calm down or just don't reply. "you can't bribe your way in by paying. It's not like taking a driving test, and you can't just buy a qualification." This is what you said. I am not bribing anyone. And your statement about buying a qualification means you said that I want to buy the license instead of the training. You could have said paying for the training. And paying for a training does happen. Don't you pay for the BSc course. Buying the BSc course means you are buying the degree. Just don't reply if you can't talk normally. Don't take your anger on my post.
I just wanted to train for a pilot. By RAF or normally it doesn't matter.
Reply 9
That's fine. I just wanted to know if there is an option in the RAF where you could get some flying experience by paying like a hobby. If not it doesn't matter. I can get that afterwards normally. Ideally I would like to be an RAF pilot but if not that then Ill just do it as a hobby on the side. Thanks
Reply 10
So, don't quote me on any of this and I have no details whatsoever other than what I witnessed.

A friend of mine in the Army was learning to fly via what I believe was a RAF UOTC that was connected to our camp.
He already had some experience from I think air cadets before he joined.
It was on civilian style what I call "cesna" planes.
He was using the experience and recommendation to attempt a transfer to RAF Pilot - no idea if he was successful.
This was 4ish years ago.
That's fine. I just wanted to know if there is an option in the RAF where you could get some flying experience by paying like a hobby. If not it doesn't matter. I can get that afterwards normally. Ideally I would like to be an RAF pilot but if not that then Ill just do it as a hobby on the side. Thanks
If you want to become a pilot you'd need to go through the proper training and pass language, technical and fitness tests and probably a mental health check but I'm not completely sure but as above you can't buy your way in to a career in the military. It's something that you have to work hard for and I know it can take a while before a vacancy actually pops up.
I didn't say I want to buy my way and get a free qualification. I said if I choose another career like an engineer. Can I pay to get pilot training and train and get a pilot license in RAF? No need to be rude. Nor I am super rich. Im just saying is there a way to get the training even though I am not a pilot in RAF.
What do you mean by "flying experience"?

If you aren't an RAF Pilot and you want to learn to fly you can just pay for it like any other person would at a civilian flying school. If you want to fly in military aircraft then there's no way to do that, even by paying, unless it's as a passenger.

Quick Reply

Latest