The Student Room Group

To those saying your university doesn't matter..

Just received my photo book for an internship at a tech company - here's the breakdown:

51 interns

Imperial: 8
Bath: 7
London Business School: 3
Bocconi: 3
Exeter: 2
Manchester: 2
Oxford: 2
Cambridge: 2
Leeds: 2
Loughborough: 2
LSE: 2
Bristol: 2
Durham: 2
École Polytechnique (L'X): 2
Hotel School, Hague: 2
KCL: 2
York: 2
Reading: 1
Aston: 1
Surrey: 1
IESEG: 1

Scroll to see replies

Aside from the top 2 it seems like there's a very wide range of university 'prestige'.
Original post by DarthRoar
Aside from the top 2 it seems like there's a very wide range of university 'prestige'.

the idea is that apart from the last 4, all the others supply at least more than 1 intern and all of the ones that do are well known/respected names.
what is "Hotel School" ?

:hmmmm2:
Original post by the bear
what is "Hotel School" ?

:hmmmm2:

one of the older/well-known hospitality management schools. cornell has a famous one which is pretty similar.
Original post by Princepieman
the idea is that apart from the last 4, all the others supply at least more than 1 intern and all of the ones that do are well known/respected names.

True, pretty much all would be classified as at least reasonably prestigious.
Ok
Possibly interesting but slightly bemusing. So what?
Tech companies I think would have a less rigid attitude.
You only have 1 intakes worth of data.
You dont know who else applied and what the factors were in rejecting them or choosing you.
That is only the intake for one company.
Yo I bet those Imperial guys ain't Anglaise. Capiche.

Well done OP if you got one of these internships.
Original post by DuckDodgers
Yo I bet those Imperial guys ain't Anglaise. Capiche.

Well done OP if you got one of these internships.

most of them aren't no lol

thanks
This isn't really evidence of anything. A big factor to bear in mind is the fact that more 'prestigious' unis tend to attract higher caliber students in the first place.
Just received my photo book for an internship at a tech company - here's the breakdown:

51 interns

Imperial: 8
Bath: 7
London Business School: 3
Bocconi: 3
Exeter: 2
Manchester: 2
Oxford: 2
Cambridge: 2
Leeds: 2
Loughborough: 2
LSE: 2
Bristol: 2
Durham: 2
École Polytechnique (L'X): 2
Hotel School, Hague: 2
KCL: 2
York: 2
Reading: 1
Aston: 1
Surrey: 1
IESEG: 1

This doesn't say anything. There may simply have been more applicants from those universities or those applicants may have been more ambitious and actively pursued other internships/work experience students at other universities haven't because they value other things.
Original post by J-SP
This suggests they are right....

Although would be far more interesting to see the applications: Intern ratios for these universities to give more depth of analysis

I'll ask hr if that's possible but likely not
Original post by angelinahx
This doesn't say anything. There may simply have been more applicants from those universities or those applicants may have been more ambitious and actively pursued other internships/work experience students at other universities haven't because they value other things.

this would be an interesting metric
Just received my photo book for an internship at a tech company

^^
Original post by J-SP
How I look at these results....

Universities with an emphasis on STEM subjects do well (quelle surprise for a tech company)
Universities with year in industry courses do well
The company is probably international and recruits with particular countries in mind
The company probably hasn’t got any major offices outside of London in the UK

Good assumptions.

1. Yep, most of the technical or quantitative roles are filled with people from schools that tend to be relatively strong in Maths/Physics/CS/Engineering. In the strategy/finance/product/marketing roles it's mostly people from generally good unis (pretty much all of strategy is LBS).

2. Yeah, hence the oversupply of Bath students - it's a mix of summer and placement. (also happened at my DB AC, something like 5 people from Bath out of 8). Not really sure how they've monopolised the placement year market so much

3/4. Correct on both points. After Seattle, this office is one of the more major ones (alongside NYC and SFBay). Since the space the company works on is global they definitely prefer people with international experience/backgrounds. Most people are actually European and not British (even if they go to a British uni)

Original post by angelinahx

Of course this data isn't perfect (clickbait title was necessary to get eyeballs) but this is just one of many data points I've seen from well known companies that point to there being a clear premium placed on going to a good uni. I was honestly kind of shocked and expected there to be a bit more of a spread of backgrounds given it's a tech company but lo and behold.

And sure, chicken and egg. But surely being in an environment where you're influenced by ambitious people applying to things is better for your long term success than not? From what I've seen, there is a tonne of inertia that arises from your surroundings in uni. Some negative, some positive.

Original post by XOR_
^^

?
gotta love a bit of rustling of jimmies
As I point out every time someone raises this question, I recently completed a grad scheme at a well-known, well-paying, company, and I did so alongside students from Oxbridge, and from Russell Group unis. I did not go to a Russell Group uni, nor did some of the others on the scheme with me, but we were all hired by the same company, to do the same role.

Tl;Dr: Uni rankings, barring very few exceptions; do not matter in the slightest when it comes to finding a job.
Original post by shadowdweller
As I point out every time someone raises this question, I recently completed a grad scheme at a well-known, well-paying, company, and I did so alongside students from Oxbridge, and from Russell Group unis. I did not go to a Russell Group uni, nor did some of the others on the scheme with me, but we were all hired by the same company, to do the same role.

Tl;Dr: Uni rankings, barring very few exceptions; do not matter in the slightest when it comes to finding a job.

The argument is that uni reputation does matter but in indirect ways (although for some fields it is legitimately direct) so you are still better off choosing the better university in most cases. If you've already made the choice and committed then yes, it doesn't matter as much and it's all on you to make opportunities for yourself and to perform. Hence why, people still make it into great jobs from a variety of universities.

Also league tables =/= rep.
(edited 4 years ago)
The argument is that they do matter but in indirect ways (although for some fields it is legitimately direct) so you are still better off choosing the better university in most cases. If you've already made the choice and committed then yes, it doesn't matter as much and it's all on you to make opportunities for yourself and to perform. Hence why, people still make it into great jobs from a variety of universities.

Also league tables =/= rep.

I understand the argument you are making, however there is very little to suggest it holds merit, outside of a few edge cases, I'm afraid! :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending