Sex and Gender - A major contradiction? Watch

JackBrook
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I hear a lot that people believe gender is a social construct.
I also hear a lot that the SAME people believe you can be born into the wrong body and that 'transgender' people should have surgery performed to turn them into the opposite sex.

The two beliefs aren't compatible, so I ask - which is it?
Summerck
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not that sort of person but cant you still act upon a social construct if it makes you feel uncomfortable being a different sex? Like time is a social construct but everyone uses it and it would be ridiculous to end it so surely they can change their sex? I'm interested to hear the response as i'm not to sure either Sorry if my answer makes no sense, lacking sleep rn.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The problem with it all is language. People are every colour of grey, red, purple, blue you care to imaging. It is what makes us all interesting. However, sadly, language is binary. You are a man or a woman, he or she. There is no informal or formal way of expressing either or neither. It must be even worse in places like France where inanimate objects are male or female for reasons unknown.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JackBrook)
I hear a lot that people believe gender is a social construct.
I also hear a lot that the SAME people believe you can be born into the wrong body and that 'transgender' people should have surgery performed to turn them into the opposite sex.

The two beliefs aren't compatible, so I ask - which is it?
firstly it appears you have a ppor grasp of what something being a social construct actually means

Gender is considered ot have three major aspects

1. Gender Identity , this is the innate sense of one's gender, the body of clinical evidence says this is innate and biologically mediated , it may be at difference with the apparent physiologicla sex of an individual
2. Gender Expression - which relates primarily to the appearance, grooming o and coding of the individual, there is a strong social / societal construct at play here
3. Gender roles - i.e. the expected behaviours of the masculine or feminine personality - entirely a social construct

' born in the wrong body' is a drastically over simplified description of Gender Dysphoria. the Neurpo Endocrine condtion where the individual;s gender identity is at odds with their apparent physical sex and their hormonal milieu , there is very clear evidence that Dysphoria is relieved by correcting the hormonal milieu and other interventions to reduce or eliminate physicl dysphoria.

if you had read the abundent literature on the topic you would be aware of this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads