Sport Science to Medicine Watch

jd2906
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I'm a first year SES student and have recently realised that my real passion is medicine. I have read that many universities don't accept applicants that have dropped out of their current degrees to pursue medicine, and encourage them to graduate and the apply. I know GEM is very competitive but I will have two years two get as much work experience as possible and prepare for the UCAT/GAMSAT. My question is, will getting a 1st in sport science be a good enough degree to apply with or should I change to Biomedical sciences and do an extra year of study to then apply.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jd2906)
Hi all,

I'm a first year SES student and have recently realised that my real passion is medicine. I have read that many universities don't accept applicants that have dropped out of their current degrees to pursue medicine, and encourage them to graduate and the apply. I know GEM is very competitive but I will have two years two get as much work experience as possible and prepare for the UCAT/GAMSAT. My question is, will getting a 1st in sport science be a good enough degree to apply with or should I change to Biomedical sciences and do an extra year of study to then apply.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
they might not consider sports science to have enough biological content for some gem courses so swapping to biomed would give you more options
jd2906
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply.
Do most universities require a a degree with a high level of Science? I'm not sure if I would want to do another three years at my current uni but if it's going to make a big difference on my GEM chances then of course I'd do it.
(Original post by claireestelle)
they might not consider sports science to have enough biological content for some gem courses so swapping to biomed would give you more options
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jd2906)
Thanks for the reply.
Do most universities require a a degree with a high level of Science? I'm not sure if I would want to do another three years at my current uni but if it's going to make a big difference on my GEM chances then of course I'd do it.
Most do yes, but there are some which dont.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads