Education with psyc at Bath? Watch

whichuni050100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know anyone on this course, and whether they enjoy it?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there - my name is Leah and I am a 2nd year student at the University of Bath

Unfortunately, none of our Student Room ambassadors study Education with Psychology or anything particularly similar so we are unable to give you much of an insight into this course. However, if you come along to one of our open days, you will be able to speak to students studying this course, meet staff and see the University for yourself. I highly recommend attending - there are 2 open days at the end of next month; 21st and 22nd June.

I really love being a student at Bath. I picked Bath because of its reputation, the community feel of the campus and the beautiful city where the uni is located. My hometown is not the biggest and I knew I didn't want a massive city for my uni - Bath is lively enough to feel like there's always something going on but small enough so that you can get to know your way around fairly easily so it quickly feels like home. There are plenty of clubs, bars and clubs if you are interested in nightlife - there is certainly something for everyone and Bristol is only 15 minutes away if you fancy a change of scene. The Students' Union has 2 club nights a week and the bar is open all week, which is great, chill place to study or meet friends. There are some fantastic society, volunteering and sports clubs to get involved with at Bath, whether you have a long term hobby or want to try something new, there is a lot to get involved with and I would highly recommend getting involved with the SU as much as possible.

Let me know if you have any questions about Bath

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering
frenchbeanuk
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I was curious about this course too. It doesn't offer BPS accreditation nor is it a teacher training course. It isn't helpful for those people interested in Educational Psychology. I wasn't sure exactly what it offered to be honest.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
Hello - My name is Sam and I'm currently a 3rd year Education with Psychology student at the University of Bath. I'm just coming to the end of my placement year, and will be returning to study for my 4th year in September.

I have really enjoyed the course. This is primarily because of the breadth it covers and the variety of viewpoints on offer. It's worth being aware that this is not a teaching degree, nor is it a psychology degree - and you are correct that it doesn't offer British Psychological Society (BPS) accreditation or Qualified Teaching Status (QTS). You do however undertake a number of key psychology modules with the main psychology cohort each year.

Essentially, the course covers the Education sector as a whole, putting a real emphasis on child development (and psychology) from birth all the way through to age 18. Within this, you are looking at everything from the cognitive development of a child to debates on the value of grammar schools to discussing children's rights in developing countries. It really has a lot to offer in terms of content, and students on the course tend to develop their own interests in particular areas as time goes on. My favourite thing about the course is that in a morning I can be learning in-depth theory surrounding the Philosophy of Education, and in the following afternoon can be discussing practical strategies to enable children with Special Educational Needs (SEN) to get the most out of their education. I really can't stress enough how much variety there is in terms of content - it has really opened my eyes to the scale of career opportunities in Education that span beyond teaching (which is what many people may assume you will do with an education degree).

I have personally found it very relevant to Educational Psychology - you have a number of compulsory modules in years 2 and 3 that focus on this. What the course does offer in relation to Educational Psychology (beyond those specific modules) is an awareness of how many different people and organisations feed into the development and educational progress of a child - this is something that I'm sure would stand you in good stead if it's a career you are interested in. Unfortunately it's just a balancing act to work out which perspective you want to study from!

I hope that this gives you a better understanding of the course content, and please do let me know if you have any questions

Sam
3rd Year Education with Psychology
(Original post by frenchbeanuk)
I was curious about this course too. It doesn't offer BPS accreditation nor is it a teacher training course. It isn't helpful for those people interested in Educational Psychology. I wasn't sure exactly what it offered to be honest.
(Original post by whichuni050100)
Does anyone know anyone on this course, and whether they enjoy it?
frenchbeanuk
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
Thanks for your reply - that's really helpful. It sounds a really interesting course!
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hello - My name is Sam and I'm currently a 3rd year Education with Psychology student at the University of Bath. I'm just coming to the end of my placement year, and will be returning to study for my 4th year in September.

I have really enjoyed the course. This is primarily because of the breadth it covers and the variety of viewpoints on offer. It's worth being aware that this is not a teaching degree, nor is it a psychology degree - and you are correct that it doesn't offer British Psychological Society (BPS) accreditation or Qualified Teaching Status (QTS). You do however undertake a number of key psychology modules with the main psychology cohort each year.

Essentially, the course covers the Education sector as a whole, putting a real emphasis on child development (and psychology) from birth all the way through to age 18. Within this, you are looking at everything from the cognitive development of a child to debates on the value of grammar schools to discussing children's rights in developing countries. It really has a lot to offer in terms of content, and students on the course tend to develop their own interests in particular areas as time goes on. My favourite thing about the course is that in a morning I can be learning in-depth theory surrounding the Philosophy of Education, and in the following afternoon can be discussing practical strategies to enable children with Special Educational Needs (SEN) to get the most out of their education. I really can't stress enough how much variety there is in terms of content - it has really opened my eyes to the scale of career opportunities in Education that span beyond teaching (which is what many people may assume you will do with an education degree).

I have personally found it very relevant to Educational Psychology - you have a number of compulsory modules in years 2 and 3 that focus on this. What the course does offer in relation to Educational Psychology (beyond those specific modules) is an awareness of how many different people and organisations feed into the development and educational progress of a child - this is something that I'm sure would stand you in good stead if it's a career you are interested in. Unfortunately it's just a balancing act to work out which perspective you want to study from!

I hope that this gives you a better understanding of the course content, and please do let me know if you have any questions

Sam
whichuni050100
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 hours ago
(Original post by University of Bath)

Sam
Thank you so much that’s super helpful! I’m going to be studying this course in September and now am even more excited!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Engineering & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Science Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (61)
21.63%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (97)
34.4%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.92%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.93%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
13.12%

Watched Threads