i failed my a-level biology practical 😰😰 Watch

adamj2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi. im in yr12 and i do bio chem and art.
In order to do the degree i want to do in uni, i HAVE to pass all my practicals.

Now in aqa bio we were doing practical 2( the mitotic index one) and being my clumsy self i accidentally spilled 5moldm-3 hydrochloric acid.
Yes i know its dangerous as hell but it was an accident T__T.

My teacher went batshit and said hes gonna have to fail me and i reallyyy dont want to fail so plsss can anyone give me advice. Can he fail me for spilling something? Cus its not like in the method it says ‘ DONT SPILL HYDROCHLORIC ACID’ and apart from that i followed the method to a t.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by adamj2002)
hi. im in yr12 and i do bio chem and art.
In order to do the degree i want to do in uni, i HAVE to pass all my practicals.

Now in aqa bio we were doing practical 2( the mitotic index one) and being my clumsy self i accidentally spilled 5moldm-3 hydrochloric acid.
Yes i know its dangerous as hell but it was an accident T__T.

My teacher went batshit and said hes gonna have to fail me and i reallyyy dont want to fail so plsss can anyone give me advice. Can he fail me for spilling something? Cus its not like in the method it says ‘ DONT SPILL HYDROCHLORIC ACID’ and apart from that i followed the method to a t.
I expect he knows the criteria for passing better than most. Perhaps there are some safety criteria which are fundamental and even more important than even the experiment itself?

Practical endorsements are very important. Hopefully your school will let you take it again.
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you have to tick every skill off once. you might have lost the safety skill for that practical, but you can get it elsewhere. all should be fine, the teacher cannot fail you for one practical, luckily that isnt how the system works.

and wow 5 molar?? i thought schools werent allowed to use more than 1 molar...

edit - just seen your board is aqa. have a check on their website how they organise their practical endorsement, my advice was for OCR. the likelihood is that one mistake won't mean you fail though, that would be really unfair.
Last edited by sotor; 1 month ago
adamj2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by sotor)
you have to tick every skill off once. you might have lost the safety skill for that practical, but you can get it elsewhere. all should be fine, the teacher cannot fail you for one practical, luckily that isnt how the system works.

and wow 5 molar?? i thought schools werent allowed to use more than 1 molar...

edit - just seen your board is aqa. have a check on their website how they organise their practical endorsement, my advice was for OCR. the likelihood is that one mistake won't mean you fail though, that would be really unfair.
yeah even in my school they normally dont even use more than 0.5! It was just for this practical i think

Also i checked the aqa site beforeand i literally could not find anything cus it was so confusing so i came here for help. thanks for the advice tho!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads