The Student Room Group

I doodled in my exam paper, will I be marked down?

In my gcse maths paper 1 I finished early and doodled on a blank page. My friends told me it was pretty stupid and I'd get disqualified, but I didn't believe them because I don't think they scan blank pages. But in my physics paper 1 I also finished early, but the blank pages in it explicitly said 'do not write here', so I doodled in a large empty space under an MCQ. It didn't seem like a bad idea at the time, but now I'm really scared about it being marked down because I'm aiming for a 9! How worried should I be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
obvs not an examiner but I can't see why drawng on a non-answer space would harm your marks. :smile:
Original post by spectre01
In my gcse maths paper 1 I finished early and doodled on a blank page. My friends told me it was pretty stupid and I'd get disqualified, but I didn't believe them because I don't think they scan blank pages. But in my physics paper 1 I also finished early, but the blank pages in it explicitly said 'do not write here', so I doodled in a large empty space under an MCQ. It didn't seem like a bad idea at the time, but now I'm really scared about it being marked down because I'm aiming for a 9! How worried should I be?

Your friends are wrong.

Unless the doodling is offensive or explicit in some way, it will make no difference. It does make you look a bit of an idiot though, if you write on a page which clearly says 'do not write here'.

I'm an examiner, by the way. Check my AMA for more answers like this.
can't see them even looking but if it wasn't offensive which i don't imagine it was then you'll be fine :smile:

as for these friends ....
Phew, then it looks like I have nothing to worry about then. Thanks guys!
Original post by Reality Check
Your friends are wrong.

Unless the doodling is offensive or explicit in some way, it will make no difference. It does make you look a bit of an idiot though, if you write on a page which clearly says 'do not write here'.

I would seem like an idiot if I wrote where it said not to write in, so I wrote under the MCQ instead with this message: 'Apparently I'm not supposed to write on blank pages, so I guess I'll doodle here instead' 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
I would seem like an idiot if I wrote where it said not to write in, but so I wrote under the MCQ instead with this message: 'Apparently I'm not supposed to write on blank pages, so I guess I'll doodle here instead' 😂

:lol: You'll make your examiner smile with that
What did you draw?
Original post by GreenCub
What did you draw?

In my maths paper I drew a person hammering nails into an exam paper saying 'nailed it' but physics paper I drew all sorts of random stuff
I love writing messages to my examiners in the margins...
In my maths paper I drew a person hammering nails into an exam paper saying 'nailed it' but physics paper I drew all sorts of random stuff

That's quite amusing - as long as there wasn't anything inappropriate you should be fine.
Original post by jamesbarry17
I love writing messages to my examiners in the margins...

Lol I I did that so much in my chemistry paper cuz it was so weird. There was a two marker balancing question that took most people 20 minutes to do and a four marker that took 10 seconds.
Original post by GreenCub
That's quite amusing - as long as there wasn't anything inappropriate you should be fine.

Stuff I drew on the physics paper included a mad scientist and the physics cat, so yeah, pretty random but definitely safe. physics-cat-prefers-biology-to-sit-on-something-soft-19225049-compressed.png.jpeg
Stuff I drew on the physics paper included a mad scientist and the physics cat, so yeah, pretty random but definitely safe. physics-cat-prefers-biology-to-sit-on-something-soft-19225049-compressed.png.jpeg

I like that very much :smile:
Reply 14
Your friends are wrong.

So say someone draws, well, 2 circles and a stick, is that considered offensive enough to get rejected?
Reply 15
Your friends are wrong.

So say you drew, well, 2 balls and a stick, is that enough to be considered offensive? Or is it worse things?
This thread is 5 years old. We have just been informed that the op has had his parole refused and will remain incarcerated for his doodling crime. Don’t mess with exam boards…they know people who know people.
Reply 17
Yeah, OP was sentenced 50 to life for crimes against humanity and will likely never see the light of day again. Do NOT be caught lacking people. AQA has good lawyers.
Yeah, OP was sentenced 50 to life for crimes against humanity and will likely never see the light of day again. Do NOT be caught lacking people. AQA has good lawyers.

Edexcel will actually keel haul miscreants under HMS Belfast if tippex is used on any of their exam papers.
Original post by T!gger34
Edexcel will actually keel haul miscreants under HMS Belfast if tippex is used on any of their exam papers.

Equdas sends you to work on one of the sheep farms in north Wales as a punishment for your crime (real answer you'll probably be fine) so don't do that again the Welsh are terrifying

Quick Reply