How to structure PGCE Secondary Personal Statement? Watch

Mickey976
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am interested in applying for PGCE for September 2020 entry. I kinda need help structuring my work. So far i have structured it like this
-Reasons why I want to go into teaching
-Reasons why I want to teach my chosen subject and year group
-Experiences that I had with young people and school experience placement that I did
-Skills that I have that I can apply to the role
-3 line conclusion

Is there anything else that I should add?
Also what type of introduction starters have you guys used?
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Passion - convey that in your personal statement and you'll probably be invited to interview. What you've included sounds fine.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mickey976)
I am interested in applying for PGCE for September 2020 entry. I kinda need help structuring my work. So far i have structured it like this
-Experiences that I had with young people and school experience placement that I did
-3 line conclusion

I think this sounds mostly good. If you have lots of experience, I'd weight your PS towards that as much as possible.

In your skills section, are you being explicit e.g. "From my time as X, I learned to work under pressure and believe I could translate this well to a classroom". Just listing skills e.g "I work well alone and as part of team" isn't really worthwhile.

If you'd like a second pair of eyes, you can submit it for a review via TSR's PS review service.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should also talk about your understanding of teaching (to show you are prepared for the realities)
happyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mickey976)
-3 line conclusion

It's important to have a few lines showing you know the realities of teaching and the role. I included from my job as a TA that I know it is long hours, pressure, data ect.

I would more so give an experience and then explain what skill this shows/why this made you want to teach.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.47%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (70)
32.86%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.19%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.45%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise