Not Looking Forward to Uni? Watch

ClockworkPaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So after choosing my firm choice then swapping it for Portsmouth 2 weeks later, it's now too late for me to change again (unless I beg my uni choices to release/accept me onto a possibly full course, RIP) plus accommodation for my other option closes in 4 days.

So, logically, I've just tried to settle with the choice I made and hype myself up. But so far all I can feel is either 'let's get this over with, it's only 3 years' and 'I don't want to go'.

I should be excitedly booking my accommodation but I've avoided it right up until the deadline because I don't want to book it; I hate the accommodation and subconsciously I think I feel as though booking my accommodation is finally fully committing to my firm choice.

It came down to AUB and Portsmouth for animation. AUB's course was not what I wanted, but it has the student experience, location, atmosphere, SU and accreditations I hoped for in my degree.
I don't know why I chose Portsmouth other than it allowed me to learn 3D animation in more depth and my parents liked it. I know you shouldn't choose based on what your parents want, but when I tried to choose AUB I felt this overwhelming guilt (I still do when I imagine I'm going there instead).

At the end of the day, the course that taught me what I want to learn seemed more important but I just,,, can't get over this feeling of dread and regret.

I follow both student unions and unis on Instagram, Twitter and FB and AUB post so many fun things; Portsmouth rarely post anything aside from advertisements or occasional news.

There are no fellow animation applicants online that I've found to talk to for Portsmouth, only for AUB, and knowing that the course is MUCH smaller than I wanted (about 15 people I think) it isn't helping to this lonely vibe I'm getting.

No, I cannot put off going to university for another year. I'll be 22 when I start and I'm tired of wasting my 20s - I want my degree, a great student experience, and then to start my career.

Anyone have any advice? Words of comfort? Are you studing on my course? I would greatly appreciate any of that :^)
profjb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok, theres quite a lot of stuff here so i'll go through it methodically.

First, starting with stats alone. Obviously uni stats are a bit of a weird one, I wouldn't trust it entirely (and definately don't make opinions based off stats) but I included a pdf of the stat comparison for bournmouth and Portsmouth, you might find it interesting. As you said portsmouth is a smaller size so the results will be skewed a little bit but just in terms of the survey results they post Portsmouth does seem like a better course.

As for accomodation, i'm gonna be honest but you have the accomodation for 1 year, you'll be fine in whatever your put in unless you have a undisclosed disability. I had a choice between a beautiful seaside city 'Bangor' or 'York', which too be fair is a nice place to live but Bangor has the best accomodation hands down of any uni and I felt like I regretted it because I would have 'fitted in' a bit more in a small quiet town, plus most of Yorks accomodation is absolutely terrible, like they started a campaign this year called #rentrant to get extra funding. I lived in a secluded area of campus away from everything else in a flat where literally everything would break and we had 12 people per a single toilet. At the end of it all it dosen't really matter, you will have a better choice the next year as i'm assuming you want to move to rented accomodation and I made some great friends whilst I was there. I don't regret living there and I would probably go back (not sure if thats stockholm syndrome :P. Lol).
As for portsmouth, honestly most unis just kind of make you list your best choices and then throw you into whatever accomodation is free.

Spoiler:
Show
I don't know why I chose Portsmouth other than it allowed me to learn 3D animation in more depth and my parents liked it. I know you shouldn't choose based on what your parents want, but when I tried to choose AUB I felt this overwhelming guilt (I still do when I imagine I'm going there instead).

I mean yeah I wouldn't listen to your parents unless they have been to the uni before. I mean after all that is kind of the point of going to university so if you think you will better prospects i'd go for it. I mean I had better prospects at York compared to Bangor, hence my choice.

Another thing is if your getting the impression of bad accomodation and a bad university from your open day, or from the reputation of the city itself then I would lend Portsmouth a pinch of salt. My open day was so different to the experience i've had at the uni and honestly was only useful for showcasing the facilities. York as a City is pretty bad for students, sure it's pretty but everythings expensive or for tourists and apart from the cycle routes, scenery and jobs nothing is in the favor of students. Clubs are also pretty bad with the best one closing this year. You wont know properly until you go there. Which is kind of the catch.

Finally, addressing the small size of the department. As long as the facilities are there I don't really see an issue with a small department. I mean your going to get more attention, prompt feedback and be able to acctually talk to your lecturers with them knowing who you are. I'd kill for that after being stuck in a department of about 50 people trying to get help is a lot harder than you would think and emails or your supervisor are pretty much the only way to go about it in a large department.
Attached files
Last edited by profjb; 4 weeks ago
profjb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
p.s. I don't mean to be harsh in saying this but I would say you basically have two options right now, you apply for the uni and get in or don't go to uni and do something else related to animation. It's one of those subjects that can be self taught it just depends on the time you want to put in although I do understand that getting a degree is a thing on it's own regardless.
Also, a lot of the people in my department have moved between different unis or are simply mature students, like quite a large majority I would say. One moved from UCL to York, another in my supervision group is 24 and applied when he was 23. A dude in our house of 4 is 25 and went to glasgow before moving to York to re-take his first year. At this age it really isn't an issue and ultimately if you really, absolutely hate portsmouth there is the option to switch universitys in the very early weeks of the term (i'd look this up) and later after the 1st year if everything goes pear shaped.

In short, if you want to go to uni i'd reccomend filling in the accomodation stuff and then figuring out what your going to do from thereon in. If you don't want to go to uni, which too be honest is also fine and is purely down to choice then make that decision instead. If you still can't make a choice there will be accomodation available, for e.g. don't forget clearing applicants. After all of this the most obvious thing is that Portsmouth might not even accept you if it's a conditional offer and then you have the choice of going to Bournmouth, I mean it's unlikely but it it's impossible.

I realize none of this falls under the 'words of comfort' =3 but having gone through my 1st and 2nd year now i'm just glad i'm still studying on my course to be honest, Uni is what you make of it... Way to end on a cliche quote, lol.
Last edited by profjb; 4 weeks ago
MusicGamer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m a current student at Portsmouth (not animation tho) and I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed my time there so much!

The accommodation isn’t as awful as it may look, I stayed in James Watson and it was good! The halls were literally next door to the buildings I was in so I could roll out of bed at 8:45 for a 9am lecture which I loved (and miss now being in a house and having to wake up earlier, but that’s just my lazy self talking 😂)

The student experience is what you make of it. Joining societies, going on nights out, Portsmouth has it all but it’s up to you whether you jump right in or not.

If you do have any questions about Portsmouth, then feel free to ask me, I’m happy to help
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?