2019 GCSE AQA Spanish Listening and Reading Watch

MBa16.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Wow. Did anyone else find that really hard.
v1234c
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Reading was fine, listening was very very hard!
oliviadaniells02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
reading was pretty easy listening was hard :/
UnbelievablyEasy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That was unbelievable, way easier than last year the grade boundaries are going to be SO high I'm just shocked.
audreydean
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you think that the grade boundaries will be significantly changed due to how the reading paper was relatively simple? how much affect does it actually have?
UnbelievablyEasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The listening was easier - the change was significant but the paper still had challenges. The reading was UNBELIEVABLY easier this year. Therefore, the grade boundaries should be higher - but I don't think a lot of people got a 9 in languages last year so they might allow more people to get it this year by limiting the increase.
(Original post by audreydean)
Do you think that the grade boundaries will be significantly changed due to how the reading paper was relatively simple? how much affect does it actually have?
Edit: Although having said that I just checked and like 12-13% of people got 9, so I think I'm wrong. I don't think we will be able to tell certainly to be honest how the grade boundaries will change - but I think there will be an increase.
Last edited by UnbelievablyEasy; 3 weeks ago
fh2712
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I found listening hard but reading easier
fh2712
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How are you guys gonna prepare for the writing exam? I watched lots of youtube videos of people who got 9's and they essentially prepared for the question but most of this was old spec so they knew their question. Like I have no idea how I should prepare like is it gonna be about festivals, environment, work experience, marriage. Who knows!
UnbelievablyEasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fh2712)
How are you guys gonna prepare for the writing exam? I watched lots of youtube videos of people who got 9's and they essentially prepared for the question but most of this was old spec so they knew their question. Like I have no idea how I should prepare like is it gonna be about festivals, environment, work experience, marriage. Who knows!
How did they get 9's if this was old spec?

You really don't need to prepare much for writing. It's really just technique and it's UNBELIEVABLY easy to do well on if you know what you are doing:
Make a checklist in the exam for both writing tasks with all the tenses that you know (maybe not all for the 16 marker), phrases you want to include, and the bullet points of the question. Tick off this checklist as you write during the exam.
For each bullet point in the question write a new paragraph so the examiner can clearly see that you have answered everything and you yourself know you have answered all the bullet points - so you can get all the marks.
Make sure you use conjunctions and vary your adjectives.
Don't include anything you aren't sure about.
Open and close the writing (bonus if you make it something personalised to that form of writing like a letter, but I don't think you would lose marks).
Do not waste any time in the exam like so many do - check again and again the writing tasks - look at adjectival agreements and verb conjugations for example. It would be helpful to write every other line to make this checking process easier and it would be more clear for the examiner.

As for the translation, you can prepare somewhat:
Make sure you know all the vocabulary from the vocabulary list, English to Spanish.
Make sure you know how to conjugate all the tenses before the exam.
In the exam translate it and check it only once more (focus on the writing tasks). When checking look at adjectival agreements and verb conjugations in particular.
fh2712
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry i meant A* I’m so used to our new grading system now.
Thank you so much, honestly really good advice and I will try to do it all.
(Original post by UnbelievablyEasy)
How did they get 9's if this was old spec?

You really don't need to prepare much for writing. It's really just technique and it's UNBELIEVABLY easy to do well on if you know what you are doing:
Make a checklist in the exam for both writing tasks with all the tenses that you know (maybe not all for the 16 marker), phrases you want to include, and the bullet points of the question. Tick off this checklist as you write during the exam.
For each bullet point in the question write a new paragraph so the examiner can clearly see that you have answered everything and you yourself know you have answered all the bullet points - so you can get all the marks.
Make sure you use conjunctions and vary your adjectives.
Don't include anything you aren't sure about.
Open and close the writing (bonus if you make it something personalised to that form of writing like a letter, but I don't think you would lose marks).
Do not waste any time in the exam like so many do - check again and again the writing tasks - look at adjectival agreements and verb conjugations for example. It would be helpful to write every other line to make this checking process easier and it would be more clear for the examiner.

As for the translation, you can prepare somewhat:
Make sure you know all the vocabulary from the vocabulary list, English to Spanish.
Make sure you know how to conjugate all the tenses before the exam.
In the exam translate it and check it only once more (focus on the writing tasks). When checking look at adjectival agreements and verb conjugations in particular.
MBa16.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fh2712)
I’m going to relearn my speaking questions and adapt them to the question. Then you know they are accurate. Hope this helps and good luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
UnbelievablyEasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MBa16.)
I’m going to relearn my speaking questions and adapt them to the question. Then you know they are accurate. Hope this helps and good luck
This is fair enough, but it could take a lot of unnecessary time. For writing, if you do not do anything out of your range you generally do know what you are writing is accurate. Unlike speaking where it is difficult, for writing you can check as much as you want and clearly see what you have written, able to modify it relentlessly - so if you put in this time in the exam accuracy shouldn't be a problem.

Also, it may be difficult to adapt your answers to make them relevant to the question, and someone would have a much better answer if it was clearly directly based on the question from the ground up.

I assume another reason could be that you could learn better answers that you can write - which is definitely a good argument - however, if you learn the exam technique, learn your tenses, and know what to include and how someone can achieve easily the same mark. I think it is good enough to just learn some nice applicable phrases and idioms to help. For reference, I didn't learn anything for the mocks but got 90% from knowing what to include.

It certainly would not harm you to do what you are doing, but I just wonder if it is worth the time you could spend on other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.55%
The paper was reasonable (312)
49.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.32%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.08%

Watched Threads