Will they think I was trying to scam them? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I just bought a small item for 95p at my local shop and only had a note with me. I thought it was a £20 note so when they gave me £4.05 change I said this and the shopkeeper said it was definitely a £5 note. I realised that maybe I had been wrong and said this before leaving. But I feel as though the shopkeeper might think I was lying to try to get £15 for free.

To give some context I was tired and when I go into shops I always just take in one card and one note from my wallet as frustratingly my wallet sometimes sets off security alarms which is embarrassing, and once when I walked out of a shop and set off the alarm a member of staff shouted "do you want me to call the police?" which was understandably distressing for me. I feel that it is ridiculous that this happens. I have £5 and £20 notes in my wallet and must have been mistaken about which one I had taken. It doesn't help that they look so similar now!
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Eesh...it's an awkward situation, hope you can learn from it lol
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Eesh...it's an awkward situation, hope you can learn from it lol
Yes and it was so annoying that I couldn't know for sure as she had already put the note in the till. Sometimes you want to be able to check things - another example is I have sometimes travelled with Oyster from unbarriered stations in London and not been able to remember whether or not I touched in or not while I am on the platform...but you can't check without touching out if you had touched in!
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Next time just check haha
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes and it was so annoying that I couldn't know for sure as she had already put the note in the till. Sometimes you want to be able to check things - another example is I have sometimes travelled with Oyster from unbarriered stations in London and not been able to remember whether or not I touched in or not while I am on the platform...but you can't check without touching out if you had touched in!
Anonymous #1
Next time just check haha
I'm actually the sort of person who points it out if they have given me too much change so it is so annoying!
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Spoiler:
Show
I tried to rep you but it says I've repped you recently lol

I'm actually the sort of person who points it out if they have given me too much change so it is so annoying!
Anonymous #1
Spoiler:
Show
I tried to rep you but it says I've repped you recently lol
Re the "spoiler", that's sweet and I'm surprised that that happened as that would seem to take away an element of anonymity on here.

Do you think I should return to the shop and say something? As I have a horrible feeling now as I can't stop thinking about how they might have thought I was trying to scam them...I didn't really say anything at the time as I am an awkward person and also whatever I said, a scammer could have just said that anyway but I feel like a criminal now even though I made a genuine mistake.
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah TSR needs to work on it...
Yes, maybe go and buy something, and try to go to the cashier that served you and maybe casually explain it.
Eg. 'The other day I gave a £5 but I thought it was £20, wow sorry I got anxious' or idk something along the lines of that.
Good luck!
Re the "spoiler", that's sweet and I'm surprised that that happened as that would seem to take away an element of anonymity on here.

Do you think I should return to the shop and say something? As I have a horrible feeling now as I can't stop thinking about how they might have thought I was trying to scam them...I didn't really say anything at the time as I am an awkward person and also whatever I said, a scammer could have just said that anyway but I feel like a criminal now even though I made a genuine mistake.
Anonymous #1
Yeah TSR needs to work on it...
Yes, maybe go and buy something, and try to go to the cashier that served you and maybe casually explain it.
Eg. 'The other day I gave a £5 but I thought it was £20, wow sorry I got anxious' or idk something along the lines of that.
Good luck!
Yeah it's a difficult one, I am tempted to give them a £20 note next time and ask them to pretend it's a £5 note, I'm sure they wouldn't actually do it but I would much rather they did than have this guilty feeling to be honest. I suppose I could insist and say give the £15 to a charity of your choice.
forgotten_one
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't think about it so much, embarrassing things happen to the best of us. The cashier isn't gonna remember who did what tomorrow.
I just bought a small item for 95p at my local shop and only had a note with me. I thought it was a £20 note so when they gave me £4.05 change I said this and the shopkeeper said it was definitely a £5 note. I realised that maybe I had been wrong and said this before leaving. But I feel as though the shopkeeper might think I was lying to try to get £15 for free.

To give some context I was tired and when I go into shops I always just take in one card and one note from my wallet as frustratingly my wallet sometimes sets off security alarms which is embarrassing, and once when I walked out of a shop and set off the alarm a member of staff shouted "do you want me to call the police?" which was understandably distressing for me. I feel that it is ridiculous that this happens. I have £5 and £20 notes in my wallet and must have been mistaken about which one I had taken. It doesn't help that they look so similar now!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by forgotten_one)
Don't think about it so much, embarrassing things happen to the best of us. The cashier isn't gonna remember who did what tomorrow.
Yeah, the think is though I live in a really friendly small village...and to give you an idea of how safe I feel it is, I always leave my bicycle outside the house at the front without locking it and touch wood it has never been stolen (and no one ever locks their bike if they cycle to the shop in question). It really is an amazing place and it kills me to think that the local shopkeeper might think that I am a terrible person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (238)
14.83%
The paper was reasonable (896)
55.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (352)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
7.41%

Watched Threads