British Citizen Classed as International Student Watch

chamonixisla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I moved back from Australia just over 2 years ago after living there for 8 years. I did sixth form here and applied to uni. Sadly I have been classed as an international student as I have not lived here for 3 years. I have been asked to pay 3 grand before my course starts, which I am unable to do. I live with my grandparents whose income is only around 10,000 per year. As I cannot pay the fee I've been asked to defer a year to avoid the fees. This is frustrating- I have already had to stay back a year due to the time I came back home. Is there anybody who may be in this situation or know anyway I can work around this situation so I am able to go to uni next year? Currently I am trying to figure out ways to earn money so I can go but its extremely unlikely that I will get the money in time. Any advise would be gratefully received.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by chamonixisla)
I moved back from Australia just over 2 years ago after living there for 8 years. I did sixth form here and applied to uni. Sadly I have been classed as an international student as I have not lived here for 3 years. I have been asked to pay 3 grand before my course starts, which I am unable to do. I live with my grandparents whose income is only around 10,000 per year. As I cannot pay the fee I've been asked to defer a year to avoid the fees. This is frustrating- I have already had to stay back a year due to the time I came back home. Is there anybody who may be in this situation or know anyway I can work around this situation so I am able to go to uni next year? Currently I am trying to figure out ways to earn money so I can go but its extremely unlikely that I will get the money in time. Any advise would be gratefully received.
If I were in your situation then the smart move is to defer and be patient. Take a gap, get a job and save money.
If you had posted your situation last year or the year before you would have been told this is what will happen.

I dont see the big deal and the deferment is obvious.
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How old are you?
Why were you in Australia?
(Original post by chamonixisla)
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Info on how fee status is decided can be found here if you've not already seen it:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tus#layer-6082

From what I understand you could claim you maintained your ordinary residence in the UK if your parents were employed abroad temporarily. I guess it's hard to prove it's been temporary if you've been abroad for 8 years and from the sound of things I'm guessing your parents still are?
But if you've spent significant time in the UK or your parents have had temporary contracts, that might be an option?

Section 2.7 here might also be helpful: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...e-ay-18-19.pdf

If you/your parents have maintained UK ties (a home, UK bank accounts, paid UK taxes etc.), then that could also help prove you maintained UK residency.

However, from what you've said, it seems likely that you'll need to defer until you meet the 3 year requirement.
chamonixisla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I was in Australia as a permanent resident and eventually got citizenship due to my mother marrying and moving abroad. My mother still lives in Australia and my mother and I have maintained strong ties to the UK, taking 4 trips to the UK since moving and having family come over at least once a year. (I understand these 'ties' will not be considered my SFE)
My father lived in the UK the whole time I was in Australia and has worked and paid taxes, which is one of the reasons I'm having trouble accepting the outcome of my fee status. I have also proved to them that I moved back here for non-educational reasons (correct me if I'm wrong but I did read in a few places that if you moved back for non-educational reasons your fee status could be reconsidered) and that my situation in Australia was too unstable for me to stay.
My firm (Royal Holloway) has determined I'm an international student my insurance (Uni of Leicester) has accepted me as a home student, so I will more than likely be going there next year if I can fund it.

I will defer for a year if necessary, however, I am going to do my best to make sure I can raise the money and make it work, as I feel a year out will put me at a disadvantage as I am doing a maths degree. I think taking a year out due to only being here for two and a half years is unfair, and I do believe if I take another year out it is essentially two years of my life wasted.
I'm also quite unhappy with how the situation has been handled by the uni, and I understand the 3-year rule is the rule and should be for everybody, however, 3 years is a long time for people my age, especially when I have spent over half my life here.

Sorry about the late reply, between taking A levels, sorting uni out and job hunting I've had barely any time to reply. Thank you for the information, any further information would be appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (138)
13.46%
Excited (93)
9.07%
Worried (193)
18.83%
Terrified (235)
22.93%
Meh (78)
7.61%
Confused (29)
2.83%