Special Consideration Watch

Larrylamb47
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My daughter has just sat an exam today and she couldn’t see the end time on the board as the sun was shining on it and she was at the back. She asked the exam invigilator who told her the wrong end time (twice - she checked again) consequently she didn’t finish the 16 marker on the paper as she had planned to the time the invigilator had said. The invigilator has given her the time for those sitting extra time even though my daughter had told her, when asked she wasn’t eligible for extra time. I have written to the school to ask for special consideration. Is there anything else we can do. She is very upset as she knew how to answer the question!
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Larrylamb47)
My daughter has just sat an exam today and she couldn’t see the end time on the board as the sun was shining on it and she was at the back. She asked the exam invigilator who told her the wrong end time (twice - she checked again) consequently she didn’t finish the 16 marker on the paper as she had planned to the time the invigilator had said. The invigilator has given her the time for those sitting extra time even though my daughter had told her, when asked she wasn’t eligible for extra time. I have written to the school to ask for special consideration. Is there anything else we can do. She is very upset as she knew how to answer the question!
This is not a valid excuse for special consideration, i'm afraid this just comes across like your clutching at straws, if this was a serious problem other students would have flagged it during the exam...

If invigilators thought this was a serious issue, they would have announced when theres 15 minutes remaining or something similar...
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to check these things in advance, lack of preparation isn't grounds for special consideration.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Larrylamb47
Rep:
?
She was told the wrong time by the invigilator! Am I missing something?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She was told the wrong time by the invigilator! Am I missing something?
Apparently so....
just think about this, if exam boards took small mishaps which may or may not have impacted performance like this they would have thousands of ridiculous claims, with no way of verifying them.

Candidates can i file special requests with their exam office in advance of the examination window if they need support. Time keeping is the student's responsibility. As i said previously if invigilators viewed this as a serious problem they would have made an announcement during the exam.
Move on.
Larrylamb47
Rep:
?
The school verified that she was given the wrong time and it wasn’t inconsequential as it was over a third of the time allowed for the whole paper. Other students wouldn’t have flagged it as she was the only one who was given the wrong time. The end time was obscured from where she was sitting because of the glare of the sun. Your comments are somewhat harsh and irrelevant now as I have had confirmation that the school have applied for special consideration for her but thank you anyway.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The school verified that she was given the wrong time and it wasn’t inconsequential as it was over a third of the time allowed for the whole paper. Other students wouldn’t have flagged it as she was the only one who was given the wrong time. The end time was obscured from where she was sitting because of the glare of the sun. Your comments are somewhat harsh and irrelevant now as I have had confirmation that the school have applied for special consideration for her but thank you anyway.
then why ask on here?
Larrylamb47
Rep:
?
Because I hadn’t received the email from the school and had thought that this was a helpful supportive forum. My mistake 😀
(Original post by mnot)
then why ask on here?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I appreciate that the school has agreed to submit an application for special consideration but that doesn't mean the board will accept them. The situation you describe is not likely to succeed in my opinion. The duration of the examination is printed on the front of the script and there can be no room for any doubt. The exam might have started a couple of minutes late (as these things do), but these few minutes are fairly immaterial. I accept that the invigilator told her the wrong time, but if that wrong time was wrong by such a margin that it meant she couldn't finish the long question, then surely she must have realised it was wrong. As I say - she knew the rough start time, and she knew the duration. I think an exam board would think it reasonable that a candidate needed to take personal responsibility to ensure times are accurate and not solely rely on the word of others - even invigilators. Particularly when it should have been fairly obvious that the time given was wrong.

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of your application - it's an unusual case.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because I hadn’t received the email from the school and had thought that this was a helpful supportive forum. My mistake 😀
I gave you my honest opinion... This forum is not a support group, you asked a question i gave you my opinion.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your daughter was given the extra time so she had longer to do the paper than others and you want special consideration. Didnt the paper state the time limit. Was your daughter not allowed a watch to help her organise her time. If the invigilator gave her the wrong time has he marked the paper accordingly. How did the school know what your daughter was told. They shouldnt have been in the room. To be honest I can see no reason for special consideration. Having worked on exams I just dont see any reason in your argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?