chemistry/biology a level Watch

Fernpolliks
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am thinking of studying chemistry and biology for my a levels, as I am considering pursuing a career in medicine.( I am also choosing history). I was discussing this with my brother, and he said it was pointless doing chemistry and biology a level without maths a level as the maths required in chemistry and biology would be too difficult/ advanced for those who don't do maths a level. Can any current chem/bio students provide any insight?
Racheel897
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bio there's barely any maths, just percentages and some maths involving formulas but they are easy to work from with practice

Chem its mainly just formulas so again fairly striaghtforward, everything is given to you you just have to work it out

I do both without maths & I'm doing fine. Never liked maths but it is more than manageable in bio and chem!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fernpolliks)
I am thinking of studying chemistry and biology for my a levels, as I am considering pursuing a career in medicine.( I am also choosing history). I was discussing this with my brother, and he said it was pointless doing chemistry and biology a level without maths a level as the maths required in chemistry and biology would be too difficult/ advanced for those who don't do maths a level. Can any current chem/bio students provide any insight?
Plenty of students do biology and chemistry without doing maths - it is in no way required. Yes, it's a natural bedfellow, and is a good choice to make a coherent set of 3 A levels, but it is in no way 'mandatory'. so long as you're reasonably numerate (and got a good GCSE grade at higher tier) you can pick up the maths you need as you go along.
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do bio chem and maths, a level maths hasn’t really been helpful apart from a bit of stats that i have done in maths, but it’s much easier in bio! You don’t need to do maths if u don’t want to, do what you enjoy and will have the motivation to work for because a levels are solid
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (59)
22.1%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (91)
34.08%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (57)
21.35%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (25)
9.36%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (35)
13.11%

Watched Threads