Describe briefly the technique of steam distillation - A level chemistry Watch

Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure I understand the method correctly so correct me if I'm wrong please.
Steam is passed over the rxn mixture and then the steam carries vapors of the wanted volatile product which is then passed into a condenser that condenses and distills off the product with the water.
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Pigster do you mind answering this please ?
Last edited by Leah.J; 4 weeks ago
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
I'm not sure I understand the method correctly so correct me if I'm wrong please.
Steam is passed over the rxn mixture and then the steam carries vapors of the wanted volatile product which is then passed into a condenser that condenses and distills off the product with the water.
Sounds about right.

It is also used to remove desired volatiles from solids, e.g. extraction of lavender oil from the plant.
Saman_B9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Sounds about right.

It is also used to remove desired volatiles from solids, e.g. extraction of lavender oil from the plant.
I cannot understand this question. Can you help me?
Why can't the answer be C?
Attached files
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Saman_B9)
I cannot understand this question. Can you help me?
Why can't the answer be C?
Ultimately, the plan is to separate the volatiles from the initial material AND then separate it from the water (steam). Two layers allow you to do this.

If the BP of the volatile were slightly above 100oC, then it could still evaporate, even though it isn't boiling. Think about heating water to 80oC, you'd have a dry container before too long.
Saman_B9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for helping!!!
(Original post by Pigster)
Ultimately, the plan is to separate the volatiles from the initial material AND then separate it from the water (steam). Two layers allow you to do this.

If the BP of the volatile were slightly above 100oC, then it could still evaporate, even though it isn't boiling. Think about heating water to 80oC, you'd have a dry container before too long.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?