The Student Room Group

Is dropping out of university a good idea?

Okay so the title says most of what my issue is. But I'll talk through my experiences and a bit about me. I'm currently a first year student taking history at the University of Warwick. With the end of first year approaching, I used to think before that my lack of motivation towards my degree would not last. However, it's stuck we me even now.

This is a huge contrast to A levels, where I was extremely motivated - I got myself A*A*A*A - and so university was the natural place for me to go (or so I was told) however I really do not enjoy my degree, and I'm worried that I won't be able to get a first-class honours this way, which is what I'm aiming for.

I just wanted to know some advice on what options I have. I have regretting decisions, and I'm worried that dropping out would be a huge regret as the course at my university is rather unique. But I'm not feeling as motivated and happy as I wish I was at my time at university.

Does anyone know what my options might be? With my grades, I was told that I should stick to university, but a main thing about me is that I need to be told what to do in order to excel, and university is so much about independent work (especially in my degree) - but I haven't heard of many non-university opportunities that require at least 3A*s...
Don't be dumb - stay at UNI. Everyone I know who dropped out is now either working at McDonalds or pole-dancing. You need to finish your degree - If its *****y at the moment just bear with it and get the damn thing done (maybe it'll improve) - otherwise you'll screw your life up real bad --> think about what you can do with your degree (job-wise) - you picked it because you liked the field i'm assuming? I absolutely hated first year (everyone does) - its all the foundation garbage - once you have those foundations laid it gets so much better and way more flexible.
Original post by gouldiggaa
Okay so the title says most of what my issue is. But I'll talk through my experiences and a bit about me. I'm currently a first year student taking history at the University of Warwick. With the end of first year approaching, I used to think before that my lack of motivation towards my degree would not last. However, it's stuck we me even now.

This is a huge contrast to A levels, where I was extremely motivated - I got myself A*A*A*A - and so university was the natural place for me to go (or so I was told) however I really do not enjoy my degree, and I'm worried that I won't be able to get a first-class honours this way, which is what I'm aiming for.

I just wanted to know some advice on what options I have. I have regretting decisions, and I'm worried that dropping out would be a huge regret as the course at my university is rather unique. But I'm not feeling as motivated and happy as I wish I was at my time at university.

Does anyone know what my options might be? With my grades, I was told that I should stick to university, but a main thing about me is that I need to be told what to do in order to excel, and university is so much about independent work (especially in my degree) - but I haven't heard of many non-university opportunities that require at least 3A*s...

Are you UK, EU, Non EU?
What is it you want to do in life?

Just go through.

Is it the subject?
Is it the course?
Is it the uni?
Location?
Social life?

You need to id where your dissatisfaction is coming from. Not getting a first is a bit of a strange one.
Reply 3
Why don't you research online a course you might like and ask to get transferred to that? I don't really know anything about you so I couldn't give any advice on what course you could take but for some with A*A*A*A at A-level (holy **** btw) you could probably get accepted onto any course. I'm doing accouting and finance (hopefully) if you want to check that out?
Reply 4
I'm a UK citizen - I think I stated before that I'm at Warwick University studying history. When I think about where my dissatisfaction is coming from, I think it's mostly the course (but even the university itself). I really hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but I've always regretted not applying for Oxbridge, as my target grades were mostly Bs when I was doing A levels. I was determined to overachieve however as I adored my A levels - and I managed to do so!
The course at Warwick did not really fulfil my expectations - I wasn't told at school that there's almost no textbook guidance with my course at uni, which is something I really relied on with A levels.

In hindsight, I wish I took a joint-honours degree - my A levels were in history, religious studies, English lit and geography, and the former three subjects were my absolute favourites. If I were to drop out, I think I'll go for a theology related degree - likely trying my luck at Oxbridge just so I know that I have tried.
Reply 5
I would suggest ringing Oxford and a couple of other unis and see what they say. I think you can almost definitely transfer but better to get a real idea of how your ideal unis would view your situation. Do complete year 1 though.
I'm a UK citizen - I think I stated before that I'm at Warwick University studying history. When I think about where my dissatisfaction is coming from, I think it's mostly the course (but even the university itself). I really hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but I've always regretted not applying for Oxbridge, as my target grades were mostly Bs when I was doing A levels. I was determined to overachieve however as I adored my A levels - and I managed to do so!
The course at Warwick did not really fulfil my expectations - I wasn't told at school that there's almost no textbook guidance with my course at uni, which is something I really relied on with A levels.

In hindsight, I wish I took a joint-honours degree - my A levels were in history, religious studies, English lit and geography, and the former three subjects were my absolute favourites. If I were to drop out, I think I'll go for a theology related degree - likely trying my luck at Oxbridge just so I know that I have tried.
If you're struggling with the independent nature of the course at Warwick, I can't see why you'd want to go to Oxbridge? Won't you encounter the same problem, or an even more extreme version, at Oxbridge too?
Reply 7
At university there's much less guidance than in A levels for all courses, not just History. I studied maths and aerospace engineering, all they do is deliver the content and you are expected to teach yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending