Entry Requirements for my Sixth Form Watch

coolMK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My sixth form is quite average tbh but the secondary is one of the best in the country but that shouldn't affect the entry requirements for the 6th form which are ridiculous - you have to get 8 GCSEs all being above 5 which is fine but the subjects you want to study at A level have to be a minimum 8 at GCSE. Is this normal? Are they just using that as a tactic so students work harder to get the entry requirements but in reality they accept students with worse grades?
Last edited by coolMK; 1 month ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some sixth forms are like that. My sixth form requires 5 6s to do 3 a levels and you have to get a 8 in maths and 7s in science since it’s a stem like school and the stuff you learn is harder so they don’t want people getting low marks. However my school does accept students if they think they’ll work hard to achieve these grades but they won’t take 4/5s. It depends on your sixth form.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
coolMK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thanks
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Some sixth forms are like that. My sixth form requires 5 6s to do 3 a levels and you have to get a 8 in maths and 7s in science since it’s a stem like school and the stuff you learn is harder so they don’t want people getting low marks. However my school does accept students if they think they’ll work hard to achieve these grades but they won’t take 4/5s. It depends on your sixth form.
Qadeer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I attend what the government would call an "underperforming" state school with only 30% achieving a Grade 5 or above in English and Maths. On paper out sixth form requires a minimum of 5 GCSEs at (9-5) including Maths and English for traditional A level courses: humanities, social sciences, PE, drama, art etc.
In order to study "Higher A levels" you need a minimum of 5 GCSEs at (9-6) including Maths and English as well as a 7/7-7 in Science/Maths to study STEM subjects. 8 for Further Maths.
However, realistically the school has told its students that they'll accept them to do science A levels with a Grade 5 in their Science GCSE.

Maybe the entry requirements are high to increase competition for places at your sixth form for external students as that's what it looks like my school is doing.
(Original post by coolMK)
My sixth form is quite average tbh but the secondary is one of the best in the country but that shouldn't affect the entry requirements for the 6th form which are ridiculous - you have to get 8 GCSEs all being above 5 which is fine but the subjects you want to study at A level have to be a minimum 8 at GCSE. Is this normal? Are they just using that as a tactic so students work harder to get the entry requirements but in reality they accept students with worse grades?
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pretty harsh tbh. It's all about school reputation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads