Struggling to pick accommodation Watch

maceyjaine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m deferred for 2020 so I don’t have to choose my accommodation for a while but I’ve been looking anyway and I really can’t seem to find one that seems right for me. Ideally, I want something self-catered for cheaper than £145 a week outside of city campus (so either Victoria Park or Fallowfield). Right now it seems like my only option then really is Oak House, however I’m not at all a fan of the quality of the rooms and also didn’t want to be at one of the super lively / party halls in Fallowfield like Oak House or Owens Park. I don’t know what to do. I know there’s no point worrying about this right now but I’d have to worry about it later anyway and like being prepared. I just really don’t want to go catered.
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
UoM_Accommodation
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

Across our three campuses we offer a variety of halls to suit different budgets and offering different facilities. Oak House and Whitworth Park are our cheaper halls of residence and because they are markedly cheaper halls have fairly basic facilities (shared bathrooms etc). That said, they are both popular halls as they have on-site bars and in the case of Whitworth Park a gym and a music room too! If your budget is £145 a week we do have a few self-catered halls at that price on the Victoria Park campus (Burkhardt House and Canterbury Court) These halls are very modern with en-suite facilities.

I note that you mention that you are looking for self-catered accommodation. However our catered accommodation is popular and offers fantastic value for money which could be a good way of budgeting effectively (for instance Ashburne Hall- even with catering is £141 a week.) Having lived in catered accommodation myself I can attest to the fact that it is a brilliant service. It can be far more sociable as you would be having breakfast and dinner with your flatmates and provides the opportunity to meet other students from different blocks who you may not otherwise have met. The food provided is varied, of a good quality and caters to all tastes and dietary requirements. However, the option to cater for yourself is always available as all catered halls have shared kitchens for students.

I would advise that if you get the chance to come to Manchester for an open day that you arrange an accommodation tour whilst you are here as often seeing the halls of residence can provide assurance and offer the opportunity to see which would best suit you.

I hope this helps!

Many thanks

Helen.

(Original post by maceyjaine)
I’m deferred for 2020 so I don’t have to choose my accommodation for a while but I’ve been looking anyway and I really can’t seem to find one that seems right for me. Ideally, I want something self-catered for cheaper than £145 a week outside of city campus (so either Victoria Park or Fallowfield). Right now it seems like my only option then really is Oak House, however I’m not at all a fan of the quality of the rooms and also didn’t want to be at one of the super lively / party halls in Fallowfield like Oak House or Owens Park. I don’t know what to do. I know there’s no point worrying about this right now but I’d have to worry about it later anyway and like being prepared. I just really don’t want to go catered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (288)
31.86%
The paper was reasonable (435)
48.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
12.06%
It was TERRIBLE (72)
7.96%

Watched Threads