The Student Room Group

Worried about not getting the grades I want

I'm doing gcse's now and I cant revise to save my life and know I am not going to get the grades I want. I have a lot of expectation because I am an a* student and expected the majority of my grades to be a*s as did parents and friends, but know that I'l be lucky to get a's in many of my subjects at this rate. What do you think I should do both before and after receiving my results if my results are what I fear?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cheeseandbiscuits
I'm doing gcse's now and I cant revise to save my life and know I am not going to get the grades I want. I have a lot of expectation because I am an a* student and expected the majority of my grades to be a*s as did parents and friends, but know that I'l be lucky to get a's in many of my subjects at this rate. What do you think I should do both before and after receiving my results if my results are what I fear?

It's every student's nightmare.

Not much you can do, play down your chances I guess.

But make sure you do yourself justice and revise... or you'll be feeling low all summer.
Reply 2
There isn't much you can do about it really, try and forget about an exam after you have done it. You can't change anything afterwards, and nor will worrying about it.

Anyway, GCSEs are stressful as they are your first major exams in a considerable bulk. You have probably performed better than you think you have.
Reply 3
Reply 4
cheeseandbiscuits

Your more or less in exactly the same position as me.. i realy can revise, and i only looked like 5 mins at my books before the start of an exam. And like you i am expected A* and A*, but i fear for the worst on results day. Lol nothing motiavtes me i could just sit here all day without anything and it would be preferable than revising..

If i do so bad, i am thinking of taking the exams again as a private candidate at one of those exam centers in june or something.. if thats possible which i have heard it is. :smile:

Good luck anyway

Edit: Oh yea, after an exam, dont talk to your mates about the answers.. it realy isnt nice to know youve done one wrong you then think its all wrong. Just go and burn your books when you have done them :biggrin:
Reply 5
don't worry about the ones you've done now, you can't change them.

try and do as much revision as you can, or change the way you revise for things. i can't read notes but i do lots of practice papers.

if you do really really badly you could always do retakes next year, but if you're getting good/average grades i don't think you need to worry. to be an a* student you have to have a certain level of intellect, i'm sure you'll do ok.
on most occassions, those who are predicted a's and a*'s, usually get them.
they always say their exams went rubbish when infact they get one of the best results in school tbh.
Reply 7
Not in the same situation but I'm not the average student either,aiming for my predicted grades but feel I've just ballsed up the majority of my exams especially english lang paper 1 AQA A :mad2:
Oh wells results day awaits us :biggrin:
All the best
Its the same..though Im expected As mostly..Nothing you can do just revise...and hope for the best.
I can guarantee you that the majority of Year 11s will be feeling the same way as you, regardless of the grades they are predicted. Try to be as prepared as possible, remember the phrase: If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Also, try to keep yourself motivated; there's not long left until the exams finish and then you have the extra long summer to relax. Put the hard work in now otherwise you will ruin your summer by worrying immensely about your results.
You'll realise by the time you get to A levels that GCSE's don't really matter that much at all.
I'm really nervous as the GCSE grades I get will make me decide whether to follow on to do medicine or not. I think I have done reasonably well in all my exams so far besides RS, hoping for at least 1A*, 7A's and 2B's. I'm really letting myself down though as in the Easter I was doing a good amount of revision, an excessive amount infact and now when the exam are the following day, i'm just holding revision back till about 8 PM. :frown: I will be really dissapointed with myself if I don't meet the targets I set myself at least.
Reply 12
A's and A*s...its great to aim high..and im not being awful but...i worked my ass off for my grades...and im sure other people will agree with me when i say going on about wanting A's and A*s doesnt really help the people who are struggling to get a C...at the end of the day, alot of the time, GCSE's are only required to get into a sixth form college (if thats what your choosing to do) and even then, often all you need is 5 A-C's or above....
When i was at school my best friend was an A* student, and i worked hard everynight to make sure i got my Cs and didnt have to resit anything, it wasnt that i worked any less than her, its just we've all got our strengths and weaknesess...then results day came around and i was SO SO happy, id got all the grades id wanted, and more, and then i bumped into my friend who'd gotten almost all A's and A*s and my results didnt seem to mean much anymore =S she made 4 people cry that day from boasting about how well she did, im not saying you guys are going to be like that...and aiming high is great...just make sure getting there doesnt hurt anyone in the process and also ensure you remember that not everyone is going to get A*s, but that doesnt mean they havent worked just as hard as you....
(sorry for the rant)
Reply 13
I think that the hardest thing about being predicted A*'s and A's is that you really feel like you will have failed yourself if you don't achieve them...there is an awful lot of pressure on you. However, you probably have done a lot better than you imagine :smile: Just try and get motivated, take regular breaks and treat yourself. And although this sounds weird, just try and enjoy the exams haha :biggrin: Espesh if you're an Englishy type...writing Lit essays can be kinda fun. :smile:
Reply 14
Ultimately play the hand you are dealt..

If you get top marks, and the ones you work by doing little effort then thats fine.
Just work hard enough so you don't regret not working harder in a years time or when you are applying to university.

My moto: Live life without regret and i certainly don't want to live wishing id done just that little bit extra to get that etxra a* :smile:

Best of luck all
Amm0
You'll realise by the time you get to A levels that GCSE's don't really matter that much at all.

But they matter to take A Levels. So if you dont get a good enough grade you can't take A Level.
Reply 16
I'm kind of in the same situation, although I do IGCSEs (CIE) rather than GCSEs. My Bio, Maths, and History teachers all predicted me A*s, and although most of the exams went okay, I've doubted that they were of A* standard, especially History. All I can think of is that I can't do anything about them now, all I can do is focus on the next subject.
Reply 17
as ammo said, the gcse's dont really matter in the long term if youre going into higher ed. you say youre predicted a*. firstly well done for getting tht far. you gotta be good for people to think tht about you. secondly, if they dont come out as high as you want, forget it. unless you somehow crash and burn, which i doubt will happen for an a* candidate, youll have the grades to get into a decent sixth form place, and then you got the a levels, which are the ones that are important. i know this 'cos i was predicted higher than i got in a couple of subjects but im currently in a2 and predicted straight a's and got an offer from ox. cant be happier at the moment.
Reply 18
fightstar
as ammo said, the gcse's dont really matter in the long term if youre going into higher ed. you say youre predicted a*. firstly well done for getting tht far. you gotta be good for people to think tht about you. secondly, if they dont come out as high as you want, forget it. unless you somehow crash and burn, which i doubt will happen for an a* candidate, youll have the grades to get into a decent sixth form place, and then you got the a levels, which are the ones that are important. i know this 'cos i was predicted higher than i got in a couple of subjects but im currently in a2 and predicted straight a's and got an offer from ox. cant be happier at the moment.

Wow congrats on the offer from oxford, what subject do you want to study?
Reply 19
Worried about not getting A*'s, come on lol. Im just happy getting B's and C's

Latest