University of Nottingham: if I miss my offer by one grade, can I get in for History?

Watch this thread
katunaz
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have an offer of AAA (with an A in history), but I think I didn't do great on the first (and biggest) history paper and I'll most likely get a B in it. Is there any chance I can still get in?

I'm much more confident in my other two subjects and if I get, say, A*A*B or A*AB - will the good grades in the other two subjects increase my chances of getting in with a B in history?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by katunaz)
I have an offer of AAA (with an A in history), but I think I didn't do great on the first (and biggest) history paper and I'll most likely get a B in it. Is there any chance I can still get in?

I'm much more confident in my other two subjects and if I get, say, A*A*B or A*AB - will the good grades in the other two subjects increase my chances of getting in with a B in history?
Yes. All depends how competitive the uni and course is, then how many make their offer and accept. If they have spare places after than , then they share them out amongst the near misses. That will mean people same or more ucas points, but not in subjects asked for and those who are 1 grade below or with ext circs. If you are close they will usually have considered this by the time the results come out. Closer you are the better your chance. I would say reasonable to good.

They cnat say until they know what the results are though.
katunaz
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes. All depends how competitive the uni and course is, then how many make their offer and accept. If they have spare places after than , then they share them out amongst the near misses. That will mean people same or more ucas points, but not in subjects asked for and those who are 1 grade below or with ext circs. If you are close they will usually have considered this by the time the results come out. Closer you are the better your chance. I would say reasonable to good.

They cnat say until they know what the results are though.
Thanks a lot. You mentioned ucas points - do offers work on the basis of ucas points then? If my offer is AAA (144 points), if I get 144 or more regardless of the grades, will I still get in?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Thanks a lot. You mentioned ucas points - do offers work on the basis of ucas points then? If my offer is AAA (144 points), if I get 144 or more regardless of the grades, will I still get in?
Just a method of comparing different qualifications. Normally unis lower down the food chain that use them and not the higher unis. I only mention it to say someone who was got the required ucas points would be close even if the grades didnt match. Just focus on your exams and only they cna decide once they know the results in the future whether they will have space for you. I get you want reassurance, but these are about exams that havent been sat fully or marked. They dont know. If you are close you stand a reasonable chance is all anyone can say.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

I got in on clearing with ABB so I would say you have a good chance provided that there are spaces this year. It really all depends on how much space there will be on results day.

Also even if you get a B on one paper aslong as your other papers average to an A in the grade that's fine, so make sure you do as good as you can on any remaining history exams
_lucie_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi im an applicant for nottingham this year too (history and chinese studies ABB).
Obviously this is from a combined honours POV but its still relevant. When i spoke to a few students at the taster day they said nottingham very regularly allows a drop or two in grades even with more popular courses like history.
Im worried about my grades too i did quite bad in one of my history papers so i think im going to get ABC or BBC 😅.
Best of luck and hopefully see you in september though!! Im sure you did fine.
katunaz
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you! Good luck to you as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (18)
28.13%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (32)
50%
First aid skills (3)
4.69%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.56%
Sign language (8)
12.5%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.56%

Watched Threads