CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mohammed SaIah)
The reality of our generation.
I see what you mean.
You get people posting on social media of what they've been up to and what they've achieved.
But does that equate to their own success?
Maybe not. What someone may think to express themselves as appearing successful may not be the success they actually want for themselves etc.
But how can we define success? What is successful anymore? Society and its standards are always changing.

Interesting stuff.
Moved to Society! :bump:
Mohammed SaIah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Each individual probably does have a different idea when it comes to what success is. Arguably, standards have dropped. It's about appearing as opposed to being. For the Muslim success is based on the belief of a hereafter. Success in that sense doesn't exactly change although there are levels. One might wish to achieve just enough for the good in the hereafter while another may wish to achieve nearer to the best. I would choose success in the hereafter over any success in this temporary life. Interesting stuff indeed. ☺
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
I see what you mean.
You get people posting on social media of what they've been up to and what they've achieved.
But does that equate to their own success?
Maybe not. What someone may think to express themselves as appearing successful may not be the success they actually want for themselves etc.
But how can we define success? What is successful anymore? Society and its standards are always changing.

Interesting stuff.
Moved to Society! :bump:
Kaiix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So true. All ab what others think and how others see you. Social media has initiated this and society has drastically changed. Becomes pathetic at some point and people forget to simply prioritise them self and promote their success to themselves rather than boasting. Gets you absolutely nowhere.
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
True, for me i think about how i define Failure to help me think about success. Someone who i think 'failed' at life wouldn't be someone who got a simple or unambitious job, it'd be someone who didn't mature or reach personal fulfilment. Someone who never learned to build real relationships or friendships, find a job that gave them the balance they needed in life, or who let fear hold them back from exploring themselves.

Someone who seems emotionally mature, is a decent person with good values, has found some kind of purpose, a job they can at least contribute something good even if it doesn't excite them, and are critical/skeptical of technology, media and capitalism i would consider is successful in their life.

(Original post by Mohammed SaIah)
The reality of our generation.
leopard202
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also the LinkedIn presence of our generation kinda pisses me off
On my feed i see so much need for recognition and attention about the lamest things
username4626084
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being too busy bragging about your success is a failure itself.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by keptinside)
Being too busy bragging about your success is a failure itself.
Well not really. There was a study done on this matter a few years ago. It was publicised on the BBC but alas I can't find it. People who brag about their successes do tend to get rewarded / promoted more often than those who just quietly slave away. I also find this in the classroom. I am more likely to reward those who ask for a reward than those who work hard but stay silent.
username4626084
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Well not really. There was a study done on this matter a few years ago. It was publicised on the BBC but alas I can't find it. People who brag about their successes do tend to get rewarded / promoted more often than those who just quietly slave away. I also find this in the classroom. I am more likely to reward those who ask for a reward than those who work hard but stay silent.
It’s the same as being too busy thinking about others success, that you’re too busy to focus on your own stuff. I guess the more you brag about your success, the less worth it becomes. That’s my opinion
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by keptinside)
It’s the same as being too busy thinking about others success, that you’re too busy to focus on your own stuff. I guess the more you brag about your success, the less worth it becomes. That’s my opinion
Not really. Prime examples of this are Chris Moyles, the self proclaimed saviour of Radio 1, self publicist but poor businessman, Richard Branson, and the utterly hopeless but unembarrassable Donald Trump. All lack genuine talent but self conviction and the ability to talk themselves up.
username4626084
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Not really. Prime examples of this are Chris Moyles, the self proclaimed saviour of Radio 1, self publicist but poor businessman, Richard Branson, and the utterly hopeless but unembarrassable Donald Trump. All lack genuine talent but self conviction and the ability to talk themselves up.
That isn’t necessarily to be working all the time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads