Jumped out of window in exam Watch

Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How far into the exam was this? And what did you do after you jumped out of the window?
Unexpectedly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MariannaL)
I tore my paper up, and jumped out of the window during my A Level English Literature exam and didn’t write a single thing. It is 30% of my grade. I am allowed to sit my other exams and my college and mum are trying to contact the exam board and ask for special consideration due to poor mental health. If my doctor does / does not write a letter what are possible outcomes ?
The outcome is that I jumped over the English Channel using nothing but a pogo stick, cape and magic.

Because it didn't happen.
MariannaL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Unexpectedly)
The outcome is that I jumped over the English Channel using nothing but a pogo stick, cape and magic.

Because it didn't happen.
If you don’t believe it then move along. It’s a real issue I’m having rn
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
you literally yeeted yourself out of a window, that is the level of memery I aspire to achieve.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually for special consideration you need a doctors note before you sit the exam :sadnod:
pineapplepink
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry but I laughed out loud when I saw the title
tbh I still find it funny it's just so blunt
drriversong
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey, I was in hospital with crohn's during my English lit A-level poetry but I've been told that as long as I sit the other papers then my other grades should be levelled out. However, due to the stigma of MH and professionals not equating it with physical health, you might have a tougher time proving your case. Exam boards are surprisingly understanding. I've had to redo my A-levels three times due to having crohn's flare ups every exam season, but fortunately this time round, I have a ten day half term break in the middle to recover. Hopefully the same can be said for you x
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by drriversong)
hey, I was in hospital with crohn's during my English lit A-level poetry but I've been told that as long as I sit the other papers then my other grades should be levelled out. However, due to the stigma of MH and professionals not equating it with physical health, you might have a tougher time proving your case. Exam boards are surprisingly understanding. I've had to redo my A-levels three times due to having crohn's flare ups every exam season, but fortunately this time round, I have a ten day half term break in the middle to recover. Hopefully the same can be said for you x
Thank you. That’s reassuring to hear. And if it doesn’t work out then at least I will still have 2 A levels and a crap English grade I guess. I am on half term now too. Basically my teachers said I should get a doctors note and that they can all try and back my case. I don’t know what Edexcel will do with the appeal and if it will be accepted but I’ve accepted that there is not much I can do anymore other than go to the doctor and sit the rest of my exams.
drriversong
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well, I've been in your situation three times now- the only difference being that it was to do with my physical help. Last year, I managed to do one English exam before being admitted, and despite completing it in severe pain and missing a 20 mark extract Q, I still managed to get 1 mark off an A overall, because my missing units were calculated. It's unfortunately happened to me for the 3rd time (stress and chronic illnesses are not a good combo), but I'm just hoping that I can recover during half term so that I can get the 3 As I need for Oxford! So stressful

the only advice I can impart is to keep buggering on. Just write it off. It's out of your hands now. Even I don't 100% know if I will be given special consideration, but I, like you, have a doctor's note and a long term condition which "manifested itself at the time of examination" so I have to have hope, otherwise 4 years' worth of stress will be for nothing. Just focus on your next exams- even if they don't grant you special consideration, you can still get a C and 2 great A-levels.

Also unis are unbelievably understanding. Oxford have given me three offers and a lot of support because of my illness, and I've also heard of them and other unis granting clemency in extreme circumstances. In Oxford's case, it is missing the offer by just 1 grade, but in other unis it could be by several. Let your uni know what is going on and co-ordinate w/ your exam officer to do everything you can. Once you've done that, please just move on , and sit your other exams. There's nothing you can do to change it. Trust me, I'm in exactly the same position as you. I know how cruel illnesses can be, and as an A/A* student I have found it v hard not to be able to do my best, but I have heard of people still getting A/A* through special consideration, so please don't give up, and just try your best. Not to sound too cheesy, but you've got this far; don't do a disservice to yourself by quitting now, because you WILL regret it.

E
Thank you. That’s reassuring to hear. And if it doesn’t work out then at least I will still have 2 A levels and a crap English grade I guess. I am on half term now too. Basically my teachers said I should get a doctors note and that they can all try and back my case. I don’t know what Edexcel will do with the appeal and if it will be accepted but I’ve accepted that there is not much I can do anymore other than go to the doctor and sit the rest of my exams.
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by drriversong)
well, I've been in your situation three times now- the only difference being that it was to do with my physical help. Last year, I managed to do one English exam before being admitted, and despite completing it in severe pain and missing a 20 mark extract Q, I still managed to get 1 mark off an A overall, because my missing units were calculated. It's unfortunately happened to me for the 3rd time (stress and chronic illnesses are not a good combo), but I'm just hoping that I can recover during half term so that I can get the 3 As I need for Oxford! So stressful

the only advice I can impart is to keep buggering on. Just write it off. It's out of your hands now. Even I don't 100% know if I will be given special consideration, but I, like you, have a doctor's note and a long term condition which "manifested itself at the time of examination" so I have to have hope, otherwise 4 years' worth of stress will be for nothing. Just focus on your next exams- even if they don't grant you special consideration, you can still get a C and 2 great A-levels.

Also unis are unbelievably understanding. Oxford have given me three offers and a lot of support because of my illness, and I've also heard of them and other unis granting clemency in extreme circumstances. In Oxford's case, it is missing the offer by just 1 grade, but in other unis it could be by several. Let your uni know what is going on and co-ordinate w/ your exam officer to do everything you can. Once you've done that, please just move on , and sit your other exams. There's nothing you can do to change it. Trust me, I'm in exactly the same position as you. I know how cruel illnesses can be, and as an A/A* student I have found it v hard not to be able to do my best, but I have heard of people still getting A/A* through special consideration, so please don't give up, and just try your best. Not to sound too cheesy, but you've got this far; don't do a disservice to yourself by quitting now, because you WILL regret it.

E
Thank you. I hope all goes well for you. You seem like a nice person.
Anyway, I haven’t applied to uni because I want to be a firefighter so it doesn’t affect me an awful lot right now. If I do really really badly in English Lit due to this then I can maybe resist it privately next year. Hoping to do well in Sociology and History now.
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AstronomyAustin)
Love how you post an insult as anonymous. Clearly this person needs help not some moron to belittle them.
you know when i was 11 used to agree with myself as anonymous, that is freaky.
MEvans0701
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I tore my paper up, and jumped out of the window during my A Level English Literature exam and didn’t write a single thing. It is 30% of my grade. I am allowed to sit my other exams and my college and mum are trying to contact the exam board and ask for special consideration due to poor mental health. If my doctor does / does not write a letter what are possible outcomes ?
First of all, congrats you’ve earned my respect.
Second of all, was this by any chance the AQA paper because tbf I wanted to do the same.
Thirdly, you’ll probably be disqualified from your exams, and if that’s the case you won’t be able to resit straight away, for GCSE’s it’s a few years idk if it’s the same at A Levels
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by MEvans0701)
First of all, congrats you’ve earned my respect.
Second of all, was this by any chance the AQA paper because tbf I wanted to do the same.
Thirdly, you’ll probably be disqualified from your exams, and if that’s the case you won’t be able to resit straight away, for GCSE’s it’s a few years idk if it’s the same at A Levels
I was told I am allowed to sit all my other papers. I just got a 0 for that one. No it was the Edexcel.
jinchuurikii
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you'll probably be suspended, if not you'll only get 1-2% extra marks because its mental health not physical illness
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by jinchuurikii)
you'll probably be suspended, if not you'll only get 1-2% extra marks because its mental health not physical illness
I didn’t get suspended. My College always refuses to suspend me.
And if the 1-2% thing is right, I didn’t write anything in the first place so 1% of 0 is 0 not helping the situation
drriversong
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
your experience is just another shocking indictment of the government's inability to rectify the mental health epidemic. I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but like you said, you are v lucky in that you didn't need it to get into uni, so while it's understandable that you're disappointed, you will always have that consolation
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And In my exam today I banged the invigilator on my desk.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MEvans0701)
Total rubbish.
MEvans0701
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry, but it happened to someone in my GCSE Maths. They got up and left cursing and they got disqualified and have only just resit their Maths GCSE. We sat our GCSE paper in 2017. Thank you for your criticism though, I’m sorry I’m not part of the exam board HQ, I don’t know how these things work, just trying to help some kid who jumped out a window
(Original post by Compost)
Total rubbish.
Aly Lim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why!!??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads