Oasc 2019 Watch

adamb95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Having just completed OASC at RAF Cranwell. Wondering if anyone has any questions about the 3 days? Anything from admin to the exercises to general questions feel free!
hemlock1204
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hope you got on well! Any advice or tips for those with OASC coming up that you wish you knew going there? Also what were the topics from your group discussion? Cheers
Last edited by hemlock1204; 1 month ago
Jezzergizzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes please, I’m going for WSOP and have my medical next month, then I’ll be given a date for OASC.
I’ve been told it’s now a 2 day event and very quick and streamlined.
There is also a 12 minute interview in front of 3 officers I believe?
Any inside information into what happens across the two days would be most appreciated! Cheers
fgalv
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jezzergizzy)
Yes please, I’m going for WSOP and have my medical next month, then I’ll be given a date for OASC.
I’ve been told it’s now a 2 day event and very quick and streamlined.
There is also a 12 minute interview in front of 3 officers I believe?
Any inside information into what happens across the two days would be most appreciated! Cheers
Good luck with everything. I've just had my medical and have my fitness test at a nuffield health tomorrow - I assume you'll have the same It's now a 2.4km treadmill run followed by press ups and sit ups (NOT the bleep test at OASC).

I'd be interested to know if the OP had the "old" OASC or the "new" one - how did it go?
Jezzergizzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks! Good luck to you too, yes after medical the 2.4km treadmill run and sit-ups and pushups which should be all fine.
Same! I wouldn’t mind hearing some information on the new format of OASC from someone that’s actually done it recently.
All I’ve heard is there is a hangar exercise, discussion on current affairs, leadership tests both as a leader and a team member and then a 12 minute interview based off knowledge of RAF, your chosen role and motivation to join.

I’m just keen to know anything else I may have overlooked?
(Original post by fgalv)
Good luck with everything. I've just had my medical and have my fitness test at a nuffield health tomorrow - I assume you'll have the same It's now a 2.4km treadmill run followed by press ups and sit ups (NOT the bleep test at OASC).

I'd be interested to know if the OP had the "old" OASC or the "new" one - how did it go?
fgalv
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Passed my fitness test! It's pretty straightforward and the trainer at the Nuffield Health was really nice.

Did the run in 10:30 which I was pleased with as running's not my strongest suit. Then got 45 press ups and 41 sit ups.

Hoping to hear from AFCO/Cranwell this week, fingers crossed I get a board date soon.
(Original post by Jezzergizzy)
Thanks! Good luck to you too, yes after medical the 2.4km treadmill run and sit-ups and pushups which should be all fine.
Same! I wouldn’t mind hearing some information on the new format of OASC from someone that’s actually done it recently.
All I’ve heard is there is a hangar exercise, discussion on current affairs, leadership tests both as a leader and a team member and then a 12 minute interview based off knowledge of RAF, your chosen role and motivation to join.

I’m just keen to know anything else I may have overlooked?
Jezzergizzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats!! I have my medical on the 7th July and fitness shortly after.
I’m running almost everyday and cutting weight/increasing fitness at a good rate so I should smash it by the time it comes around, fingers crossed!
Doing a half marathon in two weeks time aswell just to keep it all strong.
Let me know what dates you get!
Nickyfish27
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, what current operations did you speak about/get asked about? To what extent of RAF historical knowledge is expected? What other questions did you get asked about?Thanks
TheYehman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nickyfish27)
Hi, what current operations did you speak about/get asked about? To what extent of RAF historical knowledge is expected? What other questions did you get asked about?Thanks
Current Ops question is as broad as "Tell us about the current operations the RAF are involved in", you are expected to reel off as many as you've learned (Learn all of them) and you may then be probed on why/where/when/how/what aircraft/who with etc.

In terms of historical knowledge, you aren't specifically asked about this but if you're interested in joining you should know where the RAF originated from, when, some of the larger operations it's been involved in, significant achievements. But also look to the future.

In terms of other questions, this is hard to answer. The interview at OASC is the same as your Filter interview at your AFCO, it's the same interview card.The boarding officers will certainly want to dig deep and push your knowledge to the point where you have to say "I don't know". If they have to ask you some specific questions, or questions that don't typically adhere to the regular set, then they will do so.
thefrizz96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What would you say is the best way to prepare for the hangar exercises? I have my OASC on the 6th of September, and the advice I’ve been given so far is pretty vague on what they entail. Thanks
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by thefrizz96)
What would you say is the best way to prepare for the hangar exercises? I have my OASC on the 6th of September, and the advice I’ve been given so far is pretty vague on what they entail. Thanks
There's not a huge amount you can do to prepare. Those who have been before should have been told not to tell people about the exercises or give away any clues, and the rest of it is gut.

Remember, they're looking at leadership potential, your ability to be moulded. They're not looking for someone who's perfect. And you almost certainly won't 'complete' the task (you often don't get enough time). I was on the UAS, my IOT had 150 people, and I knew tonnes of others who passed OASC; I only knew of 1 person who completed theirs.

Just stay calm, make sure you've listened to the brief, and deliver your instructions clearly.
user20173947
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Roughly how long did people have to wait between their fitness test and oasc? I've just completed my fitness test, waiting to hear back when oasc might be.
fgalv
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well done on fitness test mate. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat (plane?) right now. I was told the "new" 1 day OASC starts in August so I would guess we'll get a date in August some time. We might be on the same OASC board!
TheYehman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Enjoy guys! Let us know about the changes, I'm keen to hear what's happened!
(Original post by fgalv)
well done on fitness test mate. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat (plane?) right now. I was told the "new" 1 day OASC starts in August so I would guess we'll get a date in August some time. We might be on the same OASC board!
cyphox90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi all,

I have just had my OASC dates for the first 1 day course in August. Is anybody else on this course?

Also is anybody else struggling to find information regarding individual and group planning exercises? - I have scanned the forum and seen some old training exercises.

Cheers,

M
fgalv
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Pm me your email, I have a document that outlines the (old) OASC including the exercises. If you heard today fingers crossed I get a date soon too! When in August?
(Original post by cyphox90)
Hi all,

I have just had my OASC dates for the first 1 day course in August. Is anybody else on this course?

Also is anybody else struggling to find information regarding individual and group planning exercises? - I have scanned the forum and seen some old training exercises.

Cheers,

M
Lippo1995
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
hey guys! who is attending oasc on the 5th of august ?
cyphox90
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Mines on the 7th.

How are you getting on?
(Original post by Lippo1995)
hey guys! who is attending oasc on the 5th of august ?
Lippo1995
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
been practicing the planning exercises i downloaded and reading about the RAF. I heard they have removed the current affairs from the interview. i am going for aerosystems officer and you ?
cyphox90
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've heard the same. I think the individual planning exercise is combined with the group planning exercise now.

Logs Officer m8. have you found much branch information?
(Original post by Lippo1995)
been practicing the planning exercises i downloaded and reading about the RAF. I heard they have removed the current affairs from the interview. i am going for aerosystems officer and you ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (123)
19.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.39%
No I am happy with my course choice (354)
56.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.65%

Watched Threads