The Student Room Group

best workout when you're "obese" BMI?

I joined a gym last week and have been swimming 3 times. I get so tired swimming 1 length of the 25m pool and after 5 or so I struggle to catch my breath so take a little break by the side before doing another 5 lengths. Is this good for losing weight or am I not doing enough to have any effect? (I don't just do 10 lengths, I swam for 25 minutes),

I find the cardio machines so boring but do like weight lifting. Do I have to do long slogs on the cardio machines or will gradually increasing the time swimming be better? When should I lift weights? after losing a bit of weight or before/after swimming/cardio machines?

Thank you y'all :smile:
I
Original post by Sabertooth
I joined a gym last week and have been swimming 3 times. I get so tired swimming 1 length of the 25m pool and after 5 or so I struggle to catch my breath so take a little break by the side before doing another 5 lengths. Is this good for losing weight or am I not doing enough to have any effect? (I don't just do 10 lengths, I swam for 25 minutes),

I find the cardio machines so boring but do like weight lifting. Do I have to do long slogs on the cardio machines or will gradually increasing the time swimming be better? When should I lift weights? after losing a bit of weight or before/after swimming/cardio machines?

If you are way above then you would start by moving more. Your body will adjust. Swimming is excellent because the water sup[ports your body, just be regular and consistent. Being out of breath is fine, but listen to your body and dont overdo it.

Keep a record of distance/ times and gradually increase plus watch yourself improve.
You need to be looking at exercise 3-4 times a week with a mix of cardio and weights.
Cardio is the most effective calorie burner, but not as effective as simply reducing consumption.
Weights should never be forgotten and will help you retain muscle and maximise the ratio of fat loss.

Join MFP , weigh and record your food to establish the deficit, then also keep track of your exercise.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I

If you are way above then you would start by moving more. Your body will adjust. Swimming is excellent because the water sup[ports your body, just be regular and consistent. Being out of breath is fine, but listen to your body and dont overdo it.

Keep a record of distance/ times and gradually increase plus watch yourself improve.
You need to be looking at exercise 3-4 times a week with a mix of cardio and weights.
Cardio is the most effective calorie burner, but not as effective as simply reducing consumption.
Weights should never be forgotten and will help you retain muscle and maximise the ratio of fat loss.

Join MFP , weigh and record your food to establish the deficit, then also keep track of your exercise.

Thanks for the reply, dude.

My BMI is like 30.2 so just in the obese range. Would you say swimming would be better than a treadmill or bike as, you said, it supports my body?

Can I do weights on the same day as cardio? Yesterday I did a brief weights session then went in the pool, would you say doing it that way would help me lose more weight or should i split the two different exercises on separate days?
Thanks for the reply, dude.

My BMI is like 30.2 so just in the obese range. Would you say swimming would be better than a treadmill or bike as, you said, it supports my body?

Can I do weights on the same day as cardio? Yesterday I did a brief weights session then went in the pool, would you say doing it that way would help me lose more weight or should i split the two different exercises on separate days?

Do what you enjoy or find tolerable. I think swimming is great. Rower is also very good as they are both low impact.

If you keep times and distance theny ou will find it rewarding as you improve.
Dont underestimate the usefulness of weights, but also if weight loss is the aim, then managing how much and what you eat to create an accurate deficit is where you want to be.

Also be aware some machines can massively overestimate or just be plain inaccurate on calories burned.

Yes you can do them on the same day, although some people prefer not to. Talk to woody and join MFP.
Also I think there are some useful stickies on the fitness section.
Reply 4
Anyone else got advice please? :smile:
Anyone else got advice please? :smile:

Eat less. This is all you need.
Reply 6
Original post by funk controller
Eat less. This is all you need.

I take medication that causes weight gain, as well as having hypothyroidism.

I put on 70lbs in 4 months because of a change in medication. I didn't change what I ate and I certainly didn't eat the 5000 calories or whatever per day to warrant such huge weight gain. But thank you for your advice.

Hey! So I’d always advise doing weights what ever weight you’re at! June Last year my BMI was 32 but I joined the gym and did loads of weightlifting and it’s now 23. Honestly I hate cardio so I’d say just stick to swimming if you enjoy that and do loads of weights ( weights always before cardio) if you’re insecure with weights get a personal trainer to show you the basics 😁
I take medication that causes weight gain, as well as having hypothyroidism.

I put on 70lbs in 4 months because of a change in medication. I didn't change what I ate and I certainly didn't eat the 5000 calories or whatever per day to warrant such huge weight gain. But thank you for your advice.

A vital piece of information! Sorry then, I dont know enough about the condition to advise you.
Reply 9
Hi mate, first of all i'd like to congratulate you for taking the first steps to improve yourself physically and mentally. Getting started is the hardest part.

Just going to the gym and doing some excercises won't work, in order to maximise efficiency and get results quicker you will need to have a meal plan and a workout plan. Now most people have no idea to approach this, they simply don't know anything about dieting and efficient workouts.

The good news is that information is everywhere, ask a PT (personal trainer) at your gym if they can provide you with details on someone who can give you a meal plan and excercise plan in align with your fitness goals (they may be able to do it themselves)

However, you can also look online. One of the best I think is a group called LDNMuscle (google them), they supply full meal and excercise plans in align with your fitness goals (lose weight/gain muscle/get leaner etc) and their meal plans aren't strict or anything, you can have cheat days, and learn how to make alternatives to food you might enjoy but not so good for you. Probably sounds like i'm advertising them but honestly I believe their the best in the game right now. But yeah, to lose weight properly you will need a meal plan (with a calorie deficit everyday) and a HIIT workout. If you stick to it properly you could get into a much leaner shape in 4-5 months.
Original post by Calyps00
Hey! So I’d always advise doing weights what ever weight you’re at! June Last year my BMI was 32 but I joined the gym and did loads of weightlifting and it’s now 23. Honestly I hate cardio so I’d say just stick to swimming if you enjoy that and do loads of weights ( weights always before cardio) if you’re insecure with weights get a personal trainer to show you the basics 😁

Wow dude, that's really awesome! Congratulations! :five:

Yeah, I find cardio so boring whereas I can swim and enjoy myself and the time flies. Weightlifting is fun too, pushing yourself to get those last few reps in is so satisfying. Did you only do weightlifting or did you do swimming/other cardio too? Just your weightloss is awesome! Thanks for your advice.
Original post by funk controller
A vital piece of information! Sorry then, I dont know enough about the condition to advise you.

No problem, buddy. I didn't really want to make my first post about how I gained so much weight but I know eating right is important so I do that I just needed advice on exercise rather than diet. :smile:
Wow dude, that's really awesome! Congratulations! :five:

Yeah, I find cardio so boring whereas I can swim and enjoy myself and the time flies. Weightlifting is fun too, pushing yourself to get those last few reps in is so satisfying. Did you only do weightlifting or did you do swimming/other cardio too? Just your weightloss is awesome! Thanks for your advice.

Thanks!I mostly did weightlifting (definitely the most satisfying) but I did a bit of cardio like rowing or HIIT (high intensity interval training), I love swimming but my current gym hasn’t got a pool so I haven’t done much but if I could it would definitely be my cardio of choice! Classes are also good because they usually do both cardio and weights.
The best exercise is the one you will do. HIIT is the most efficient way to burn calories but if you hate it and never bother then what's the point? All movement will help and you'll find your fitness increases quickly for something like swimming. Try and introduce more incidental exercise, get off the bus early, walk to the shops more, take the stairs etc.

Quick Reply

Latest