The Student Room Group

Do you need a loan to receive a bursary?

I'm hoping to go to uni in September to do a PGCE and I've been told that I *might* be eligible for a bursary for the year. However, I wasn't planning on taking a loan out as I've been working and saving and will have enough to get by for the nine months. My undergrad degree has left me with a lot of debt, and I'm not overly fond of the thought of adding to that. But will I have to take a loan to be eligible for the grant? I'm not 100% convinced I’ll even get it, but a bit more breathing room would be somewhat welcome as I will have to budget next year.
Original post by beth.corser
I'm hoping to go to uni in September to do a PGCE and I've been told that I *might* be eligible for a bursary for the year. However, I wasn't planning on taking a loan out as I've been working and saving and will have enough to get by for the nine months. My undergrad degree has left me with a lot of debt, and I'm not overly fond of the thought of adding to that. But will I have to take a loan to be eligible for the grant? I'm not 100% convinced I’ll even get it, but a bit more breathing room would be somewhat welcome as I will have to budget next year.

Hello,

This can depend on your university and the processes that they follow.

Some of the scholarships and bursaries they offer require you to make an income assessed application with us first so we can share the income details with them. This is also the case for the incentives offered by the government as you have to qualify under our criteria for funding as seen here - http://ow.ly/54ZT30oOHcY

If this is the case, you can apply and ask for zero tuition fees and living costs loans stating that you only wish to be assessed for bursary purposes. If you have difficulty selecting zero using the online system, it’s best to apply on paper with a covering letter to explain you are applying for the bursary only - http://ow.ly/Ryqd30mpJmU

Warm Regards, Dean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending