English personal statement Watch

ash806
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Please offer any pieces of advice you can bear to part to help me to get started. Thank you.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This isn't English literature specific, but it's my general advice for writing a good personal statement:

1) Quality not quantity, analysis not listing - A personal statement is not a list of all your achievements, extra-curriculars and every book you've ever read. Don't namedrop a book you read or a talk you went just for the sake of mentioning it - instead, find an aspect or fact from it that you find really interesting, and talk about it. Try to draw connections with your other reading/extra-curriculars. Where possible, show how one talk sparked your interest in - e.g. decolonisation/American politics/global financial markets - and so you developed that interest by reading more about it, or listening to a podcast/watching a documentary about it. Show your learning process, and the way your mind draws connections between things.

2) Explain WHY something interested you - DON'T say "attending maths sessions after school furthered my interest in mathematics." DO say "in after-school maths sessions, I first learnt about *theory/phenomenon X* - this inspired me to explore it further by reading Author Y's book on *topic X*; what most stood out to me from this book was *fact Z*."
Mrs.Grey
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I could send you my personal statement if you want
(Original post by ash806)
Please offer any pieces of advice you can bear to part to help me to get started. Thank you.
ash806
Rep:
?
Thank you 😊
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
This isn't English literature specific, but it's my general advice for writing a good personal statement:

1) Quality not quantity, analysis not listing - A personal statement is not a list of all your achievements, extra-curriculars and every book you've ever read. Don't namedrop a book you read or a talk you went just for the sake of mentioning it - instead, find an aspect or fact from it that you find really interesting, and talk about it. Try to draw connections with your other reading/extra-curriculars. Where possible, show how one talk sparked your interest in - e.g. decolonisation/American politics/global financial markets - and so you developed that interest by reading more about it, or listening to a podcast/watching a documentary about it. Show your learning process, and the way your mind draws connections between things.

2) Explain WHY something interested you - DON'T say "attending maths sessions after school furthered my interest in mathematics." DO say "in after-school maths sessions, I first learnt about *theory/phenomenon X* - this inspired me to explore it further by reading Author Y's book on *topic X*; what most stood out to me from this book was *fact Z*."
(Original post by Mrs.Grey)
ash806
Rep:
?
Yes please ☺
(Original post by Mrs.Grey)
Scotney
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why English? Write about why you are passionate about this subject. What has sparked your interest. Give real examples of books ,words poems that have piqued your interest or changed your view of the world or made you want to delve further into something.
Start writing drafts and get teachers, parents, friends to give you feedback. The tsr has a useful step by step guide you might find useful.

ash806
Rep:
?
Thank you 😊, where is the step by sreplying guide? ☺
(Original post by Scotney)
Why English? Write about why you are passionate about this subject. What has sparked your interest. Give real examples of books ,words poems that have piqued your interest or changed your view of the world or made you want to delve further into something.
Start writing drafts and get teachers, parents, friends to give you feedback. The tsr has a useful step by step guide you might find useful.
Scotney
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just type in Personal Statement into tsr search bar.

Thank you 😊, where is the step by sreplying guide? ☺
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?