Grad Entry Medicine? Watch

Alxhkm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I hope this thread gets some responses and (hopefully) no troll responses. Anyways. I did my undergrad in biomedical science and got a 1st. I was thinking of applying to grad entry medicine, but my situation at home (I was quite badly abused so I wanted a job ASAP so I could move away from home ASAP), meant I wasn't financially or mentally able to continue studying for atleast another 4/5 years, so I took the easy(or not) route and did my masters in Physician Associates. I'm qualified now, but I still would like to pursue my ultimate goal in studying medicine. My question is firstly, has anyone done the PA course and then moved onto medicine, and secondly, in terms of funding, how did anyone who did do the GE med course, go about funding yourself. Thanks in advance
jzdzm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Alxhkm)
Hi, I hope this thread gets some responses and (hopefully) no troll responses. Anyways. I did my undergrad in biomedical science and got a 1st. I was thinking of applying to grad entry medicine, but my situation at home (I was quite badly abused so I wanted a job ASAP so I could move away from home ASAP), meant I wasn't financially or mentally able to continue studying for atleast another 4/5 years, so I took the easy(or not) route and did my masters in Physician Associates. I'm qualified now, but I still would like to pursue my ultimate goal in studying medicine. My question is firstly, has anyone done the PA course and then moved onto medicine, and secondly, in terms of funding, how did anyone who did do the GE med course, go about funding yourself. Thanks in advance
Sorry you had a tough situation at home, I hope you've established a better life now.

The PA course is quite new so I think it would be difficult to find anyone who's gone on to do medicine, but I don't see any reason why your application wouldn't be treated in the same way as someone else with a masters.

Re funding, you will need to find approximately £3500 for fees in your first year. The rest of it and living costs are covered by a student loan. In years 2-4 funding comes from a combination of student loan and NHS bursary. If you Google 'graduate entry medicine funding' there are many websites explaining in more detail, but the bottom line is you need a bit of money for the first year and the rest is covered.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
buddhainthesky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry to hear about your situation. Well done on your qualifications so far - a first and then a masters! Excellent indeed.

Honestly I don't know much about PA roles but why do you want to become a doctor when you are performing a similar role? What do you want to be different? Would it be worth the sacrifice (including paying for fees). From what I understand, you can advance your prospects and create a very good career for yourself being a PA. A lot of nurses even become advanced practitioners and can practice independently, similar to doctors.

PR24
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!

Sorry to hear about your situation but great news you’ve taken things into your own hands and are in a better position now!

Like everyone else has said, PAs are very new in the UK but people have progressed to doing all sorts! I know there are people who are assisting surgeons in theatres, opening GP practices kind of as a partner, and, you’ll be happy to hear, progressing to do grad entry medicine - so it is definitely possible!

The person I’ve spoke to who did this told me 3 things really:
1) there really isn’t much point unless you have a very specific desire to become a surgeon/do something completely out of the remit of a PA
2) there are many sacrifices you have to make in order to go through medical school & pursue a traditional career in medicine (more education, more money, generally lower job satisfaction, hours etc.) so it’s something you have to be sure of!
3) it was harder to convince interviewers of why they wanted to do medicine. Already having a practicing super hands on role in a patients care meant that persuading the interviewer/justifying why one did PA and then are moving to GEM was more difficult - obviously not impossible because they’ve done it - but harder. For example, not being able to prescribe/not being able to order ionising radiation tests/not having a structured progression in PA isn’t a good enough reason to want to do medicine because these are all hurdles that can and will be overcome as the profession grows & becomes regulated.

Also some people have stated that there may be a shorter transfer course from PA to Medicine in the future (similar to nursing/midwifery transfer courses) but this has been kind of dismissed by the FPA reps because it almost blurs the lines between a PA and a doctor - but it’s something to think about!

So yes, it’s possible to do medicine afterwards, but you really need solid reasons why you’ve made the decisions you have!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by PR24; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (180)
32.43%
The paper was reasonable (273)
49.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (61)
10.99%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
7.39%

Watched Threads