Extenuating circumstance Watch

applesam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was recently diagnosed with psychosis which means I suffer from hallucinations and difficulty keeping calm ( resulting in fits and shaking even vomiting and passing out)

I had my first exam yesterday for physics and I completely messed up as questions became mixed into each other and kept changing every time I read them and I could not focus.

I am sure I am going to fail or do EXTREMELY badly in all my exams, my predicted grades were A* A* A and i have an AAA offer from Lancaster.

Is there anyway I can negotiate with admissions to allow my A-level grades to be bypassed and only go off my predicted grades if I contact the university directly.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think they'd allow it. You're probably better off taking a year out and redoing them when you're more stable.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by applesam)
I was recently diagnosed with psychosis which means I suffer from hallucinations and difficulty keeping calm ( resulting in fits and shaking even vomiting and passing out)
Okay that sounds really intense...and that you would have a v hard time at uni, how on earth are you going to cope with THAT with episodes of being unable to keep calm and not knowing what's real?

Can't lie, I wouldn't want you in my class.
applesam
Rep:
?
The reason I messed up was because of my college, they had not made the suitable arrangements for me (silent room and a reader) and because of that I couldn't do well.
Also my symptoms never actually got that sever in the exam, all that happened was I struggled to concentrate and had difficulty reading the question. Next week I have the rest of my papers in which new arrangements will be made so I am more likely to do well on those.

I am also currently under a strict rehabilitation schedule which will probably mean i am totally stable by the time i go to uni
Last edited by applesam; 3 weeks ago
DedicatedWizard
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could try and negotiate, you got nothing to lose really. The worst thing they could do is say no and then you would have to think of an alternative plan.

You need to tell your college they need to make the arrangements, I don't understand why they haven't? It's well within your rights isn't it?
applesam
Rep:
?
I am an external candidate so communications was really limited and its also a very very poor college in terms of standard and reputation but i have already reported them for not making arrangements.
(Original post by DedicatedWizard)
You could try and negotiate, you got nothing to lose really. The worst thing they could do is say no and then you would have to think of an alternative plan.

You need to tell your college they need to make the arrangements, I don't understand why they haven't? It's well within your rights isn't it?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by applesam)
The reason I messed up was because of my college, they had not made the suitable arrangements for me (silent room and a reader) and because of that I couldn't do well.
Also my symptoms never actually got that sever in the exam, all that happened was I struggled to concentrate and had difficulty reading the question. Next week I have the rest of my papers in which new arrangements will be made so I am more likely to do well on those.

I am also currently under a strict rehabilitation schedule which will probably mean i am totally stable by the time i go to uni
Well, fair enough.

What I would then suggest is making sure your care is transferred over to your university's MH team/EIIP team (unless you're not moving) - talk to whoever is involved the most in your care about this and how it would happen. I'd also suggest you look into DSA as you would most likely qualify due to your MH issues impacting your ability to study and stuff. You could talk to your prospective university about your fears as well regarding these exams and you could look into getting special consideration via your college's exams office - this won't be much though, maybe a couple of %. You'd also need evidence that they can send off to whichever exam boards you're under.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads