The Student Room Group

Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'

"Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein and his former studio's board members have reached a tentative deal with women who accuse him of sexual misconduct, US media report.
Lawyers said the settlement to resolve civil lawsuits and compensate alleged victims was worth about $44m (£34.7m).

Mr Weinstein denies sexually harassing or abusing over 75 women.
He will stand trial in New York in June on criminal charges brought by two women, including rape."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48393721
Reply 1
I'm confused, some news say the settlement has been reached and others say it is being worked on. Better wait to see what really happens.
Reply 2
On one hand, I'm happy for victims to get something from this without having to go to court. On the other hand, they've accepted a bribe to not press charges despite clamouring for a huge cultural shift in Hollywood, and weakened the cases against him in court by withdrawing their evidence (presumably in an agreement to receive the money).

For these people, was it really about justice, or did they just see a way to get some money that they don't really need (given the financial status of his accusers and victims) from Weinstein due to the efforts of far braver women who won't get the financial payoff because they're going to trial. If their idea of justice was to be paid for performing sex acts rather than create a hostile environment to deter future sexual assault, abuse and harassment, then I actually lose a lot of sympathy for them.

The goal with accusing Weinstein had to be to put him away with such a crazy high sentence that there's absolutely no wiggle room for anyone in future to think they'll get away with it, surely?
I felt like it was also like a bribe, but he is still being sent to trial over rape and sexual assault allegations of two women so it's possible he may still get jail time, which he should rightly receive! I don't think it should ever be a case of paying people off to be quiet. That's not justice.
Original post by ThomH97
On one hand, I'm happy for victims to get something from this without having to go to court. On the other hand, they've accepted a bribe to not press charges despite clamouring for a huge cultural shift in Hollywood, and weakened the cases against him in court by withdrawing their evidence (presumably in an agreement to receive the money).

For these people, was it really about justice, or did they just see a way to get some money that they don't really need (given the financial status of his accusers and victims) from Weinstein due to the efforts of far braver women who won't get the financial payoff because they're going to trial. If their idea of justice was to be paid for performing sex acts rather than create a hostile environment to deter future sexual assault, abuse and harassment, then I actually lose a lot of sympathy for them.

The goal with accusing Weinstein had to be to put him away with such a crazy high sentence that there's absolutely no wiggle room for anyone in future to think they'll get away with it, surely?
Reply 4
Original post by -Eirlys-
I felt like it was also like a bribe, but he is still being sent to trial over rape and sexual assault allegations of two women so it's possible he may still get jail time, which he should rightly receive! I don't think it should ever be a case of paying people off to be quiet. That's not justice.

True, but those two women are the brave two I'm talking about. Out of 75 different accusers, I imagine some of the cases might have been dropped due to insufficient evidence, but he's paying $44 million to quite a few others to get them to not take him to court because they might win. The whole point of all the publicity to make Weinstein out to be a monster with institutionalised rape/extorted sex as the gatekeeper to the careers and dreams of many young, vulnerable wannabe actresses was to take him down. Completely. As an example to anyone else who might think of abusing their power in a similar way.

I mean, yes, they are individual victims too, who will have individual circumstances that money might be enough to placate them. But they were calling for Weinstein's head for the sake of all women. And for $44 million that's presumably quite a lot of people taking the payout.

Not all the allegations are the same. There is rape, to sexual assault, to harassment.

It is quite ordinary in harassment cases (which primarily relates to the law of tort) to end in settlement. It is not normally considered a "bribe" and I am not sure why people would consider it such in this case. Unless we're a bit clearer about what sexual misconduct relates to in the OP.
Reply 6

Why? We arent privy to the details of these cases bar innuendo, public diatribe, leak and general pontificating. Not to mention its now impossible for him to have a fair trial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending